Avast! Program Update

provider 2 17:26 23 Nov 08

It looks as if it might be best to wait a while before installing the latest Avast program update, especially if you sre running an Online Armour firewall:

click here

(Avast free forum reporting some problems with it.)

Stuartli 18:54 23 Nov 08

I installed Avast! version 4.8.1290 last Wednesday - it followed a version issued only a short time before.

I've had no problems with either version and, to the best of my knowledge, 1290 is the latest version; perhaps the problem was with the version prior to it?

provider 2 22:49 23 Nov 08

Stuartli,

I wasn`t offered the program update 4.8.1290 until today at about 5pm and the previous one 4.8.1287 (I think), I haven`t been offered at all.

I`ve heard Avast uses different servers to spread the load a bit but that`s quite a difference.

I`ve just downloaded and installed 4.8.1290 at about 10.15 tonight, on demand and not waiting for the green slider. Everthing seems to be ok so far, though my McAfee firewall did play up to start with (as usual)... about time I ditched it, I think.

woodchip 23:28 23 Nov 08

Updated it on my XP laptop and Dual boot Desktop, 98se plus XP no problems so far

woodchip 23:39 23 Nov 08

No not having any of those problems, Plus it the same using Win98se with a Different AV program. It happens on XP and 98se computers that I have

woodchip 23:40 23 Nov 08

Sorry wrong thread

Stuartli 08:37 24 Nov 08

Keep an eye on MajorGeeks...:-)

provider 2 12:23 24 Nov 08

Thanks Stuartli, woodchip,

Just to confirm, I`ve had no problems with the latest Avast update, so far anyway.

I see there are still one or two being reported in the Avast free forum but not enough to be a major concern. I`ve had a look at MajorGeeks too.

I`ll tick this resolved for the moment.

wester john 17:34 24 Nov 08

I got an Avast update last night. Today my PC (WINXP sp2) won't boot up - doesn't get to the Welcome screen - just keeps trying to load unsuccessfully. Could Avast be the problem?

Joe R 17:56 24 Nov 08

provider 2,

I have had problems accessing the internet using Firefox (and IE) today, and only found the answer when I read your posting. (I had to disable the webshield in Avast), so I have to say thank you for this posting, or I would still be seeking an answer. :)

provider 2 12:56 28 Nov 08

Welcome, and apologies for my delayed response.

I see that thread continues in the Avast free forum, but now referring to update 4.8.1296 which I haven`t had yet:

click here

... worth checking out occasionally to see what`s going on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…