Avast with new Virgin settings

Billp64 13:56 10 Jun 10

Hi On Laptop XP and outlook express since I have changed email settings to secure SSL settings as required by Virgin Avast cannot scan email and says disable SSL, which means putting the setting back as before. Virgin says these will not work when they complete switch over. Anyone else have this problem with Virgin, it is only Outlook Express as the Other computer runs win7 and outlook 2003 for email and that went over ok.
Would my email on the Laptop still be ok without the Avast scan, any ides appreciated, thanks.
Bill

birdface 14:17 10 Jun 10

Do they work with the settings back as before if so do that.
Always safer having your mail scanned but some say it is not necessary nowadays as it will still be caught with your security programs.

Ex plorer 14:18 10 Jun 10

Hi I don't use Outlook Express, My Provider Tiscali Automatically scans all mail.
I never use my AV to scan email as Tiscali has yet to let me down.

Is this any help
click here
click here

Ex plorer 14:22 10 Jun 10

Sorry click here

Billp64 14:24 10 Jun 10

Hi Buteman
Thanks for the reply but I think at present the old settings still work but I have had another email to say change them over as when they switch server then they will not work. Using Outlook there is not a problem as avast loads a plug in ok. Will search about a bit more but thanks.

birdface 14:35 10 Jun 10

I know that they are messing about with e-mails just now so not sure if that is what your problem is.

click here

Billp64 14:42 10 Jun 10

Hi thanks yes it could be just until it is all sorted out by Virgin but they can be annoying at times and not the most helpful. Problem where I live we a re limited and they are the most affordable otherwise its BT.
I will leave and see how it goes and get back if I need to.

birdface 14:54 10 Jun 10

O2 looks like they are catching up.
Any problems that I have had with Virgin have been minor ones but having to go through the foreign call centers certainly put you off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…