Avast new version problem

Gongoozler 19:43 21 Nov 04

I'm running Avast free antivirus with Windows XP Pro and SP2. Yesterday a popup told me there was a new version of Avast available, so I downloaded it. This morning I noticed that there was a red warning circle, so I clicked on the icon and up popped a warning message "Avast: The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error". I checked that Avast and Remote Procedure Call were enabled in services. I uninstalled and reinstalled a fresh copy of Avast, but the error was still there. I again uninstalled Avast and reinstalled the previous version of Avast (version 4.1) and all is well again. Am I the only one on this forum to have this problem?

Diodorus Siculus 19:57 21 Nov 04

Not sure of this forum, but others have mentioned it on various mailing lists I am subscribed to.

originalmiscellany 20:02 21 Nov 04

out of interest what other mailing lists are you subscribed to? Could you post links incase they turn out to be little treasure troves of good info?
Thanks

Belatucadrus 20:14 21 Nov 04

Not something I've encountered, but alwil offer support to users of the free version of avast, so it's probably worth taking up with them.

Gongoozler 20:29 21 Nov 04

I just clicked on the "Update the virus database" flash and Avast installed the new version again, so another uninstall of version 4.5.523 and reinstall of version 4.1.418, and I'm free of errors again. I think this may be another ZoneAlarm scenario where certain versions are incompatible with certain installations.

Tick Tock 20:49 21 Nov 04

On the homepage it says latest version free
is 4.5.518

Diodorus Siculus 20:56 21 Nov 04

Not sure about treasure troves... I simply read the first in each thread and if it interests me, keep it going - otherwise thrash all subsequent.

PCs
The main ones are:

click here

But now that I don't use Becky!, I will have to unsubscribe. :-{

click here

Good for software suggestions.

click here

For ThunderBird - my Becky! replacement.

Fred Langa's LangaList click here - for about 6 years now and it is excellent for little bits and pieces.

click here - Scott Finnie - good, in-depth discussion at times.

click here - I stopped this one as it got very juvenile but may go back. It was good at times.

If you want an eclectic mix of environmental, ancient history, religion and philology, just ask and I can do another listing! :-)

hatrickj 18:09 23 Nov 04

Could try the avast forums. The one for both 4.1 and 4.6 is at
click here

To post you'll have to register

Cook2 18:29 23 Nov 04

Just tried a manual update and got -

Program: Already up to date
(current version 4.5.523)
- Vps: Already up to date
(current version 0448-0)

XP Home - SP2.

Gongoozler 20:11 23 Nov 04

Thanks to Diodorus Siculus, Belatucadrus, Tick Tock and hatrickj. After looking at the Avast forum, I downloaded Avast version 4.5.529 beta which apparently has fixed a number of bugs in version 4.5.523. All is now sorted :-))

palinka 20:18 23 Nov 04

Gongoozler, how about ticking "resolved"?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…