Avast Free Upgrade Caused Problems

thumbscrew 13:46 24 Nov 14

Anyone else using Avast Free experience problems after today's upgrade? My computer running slow after the install.

spuds 13:55 24 Nov 14

Just had notification of update, and so far no noticeable effects.

Perhaps worth having a clean-up, and see whether that improves the situation!.

tullie 14:31 24 Nov 14

No problem here

john bunyan 15:18 24 Nov 14

I had a big problem yesterday - screen froze and no taskbar icons would respond. Coincided with a failed attempt at a system restore for other reasons. had to restart a number of times - eventually seemed to settle down. ( Free Avast with W7)

john bunyan 15:22 24 Nov 14

thumbscrew

PS My Avast Version : 2015.10.0.2208 - is that yours?

thumbscrew 17:06 24 Nov 14

Y Thank you spuds, tullie and john bunyan and yes john, I'm the same version as you. I'm just about to System Restore.

john bunyan 17:14 24 Nov 14

My restore was not for Avast! If it works I would leave it. Just did a full system scan - all working

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:17 24 Nov 14

Updated to latest program and definitions, done a full virus scan while also editing/ converting some video. No sign of slow down at all.

thumbscrew 17:32 24 Nov 14

Ok, maybe I'll give it a day....thanks too Fruit Bat.

Peter 00:29 25 Nov 14

thumscrew,

I mentioned this problem in a recent post on this Helproom.

Avast 2015 Free Version Update

*"For those using Avast Anti-Virus, free or paid for, please take care if updating the programme (not the virus definitions). There have been occurrences of high CPU usage (100%!) after a recent programme update. See the link below to the Avast Forum for more information."*

Avast 2015 Programme Update - High CPU Usage Problem.

I'm using Windows XP Pro and even unloading Avast completely and reinstalling a later version does not cure my problem. Perhaps a system restore will solve the problem, if not a Image restore may be necessary. There does not appear to be much progress on this problem from the Avast Forum. Peter.

thumbscrew 10:46 25 Nov 14

Thank you Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5