Avast & ETrust AV together ?

rawprawn 17:16 18 Apr 04

I have run Avast AV for some time with no problems, but after loading Service pack 2 beta, the new security setup in SP2 didn't recognise it.So also loaded Etrust AV which SP2 recognises. They seem to work happily side by side in the system tray, & I obviously I don't run them together when scanning. Is there any problem with this?

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:27 18 Apr 04

Why not just use Etrust????? OTT.

G

rawprawn 18:39 18 Apr 04

ETrust is free for one year only, Avast has given me very good service & I am loathe to abandon it. I installed Etrust because it was on the MS Security disc to try it. I agree that this is probably OTT, but I am asking if there is a problem not not if it is needed.

VoG II 18:44 18 Apr 04

Conventional wisdom is that it is a bad idea to have more than one virus scanner installed (assuming that they do on-demand scanning). They slow each other down. But if you're system is working OK I can't see any problem in keeping both.

961 18:53 18 Apr 04

Why not uninstall avast and then re-install

As said above it is generally thought to be a bad idea to run 2 av checkers together

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:01 18 Apr 04

Why not use AVG....everyone happy.

G

rawprawn 19:09 18 Apr 04

I have just been looking click here and I am quite suprised. AVG which most members prefer gives a 66.85% cover ETrust 63.08%, and Avast 86.85%. Perhaps I should uninstall ETrust which is recomended?supplied by Microsoft.

bremner 19:17 18 Apr 04

rawprawn

Your link provides test results nearly a year old.
I know that more recent tests have shown that it performs better than it previously did.

I for one do not trust AVG6 to provide protection as it has let me down - but many here do like it.

QQAA 19:20 18 Apr 04

unlike the english premier league soccer, i suppose the realworld performance of anti-virus tools is quite a dynamic one. there is no guarantee whatsoever that the top-ranking products this time can occupy similar prime positions when come to the next test.......

rawprawn 19:27 18 Apr 04

OK guys I think I have got my answer, I am not trying to advocate one or another AV, I just thoght it interesting. Personally I will stay with Avast it has not let me down yet.

QQAA 19:27 18 Apr 04

regarding AVG which has a long history of presence as a popular freeware antivirus tool, i sometimes wonder why Symantec or Network Associates have not been bothered to take-over its developer (and effectively 'killing' the product) if it is viewed as a real threat to the well-known commercial products.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…