AVAST is doing something odd when opening gmail

laptopdunce 00:56 23 Oct 13

I have Avast installed on my Vaio laptop, all of a sudden it has started bringing up a window when I log into Gmail when using my default Internet explorer browser, it says something about a threat with a spider/beetle type icon and says it is in Cdrive and to do with iexlorer, and if I think it is a "false/positive" to fill in a form, it NEVER brings up this window when I go into gmail on the google browser, what can be causing this and how do I stop it? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

woodchip 09:58 23 Oct 13

If you are running the latest version of Avast, I find its taking over and stopping me getting to connect to pages on the net. no idea on what to do as I have used it for years

spuds 11:23 23 Oct 13

Avast have made quite a number of changes lately, including adding addition services, which are advertised on a regular basis. One is more about 'privacy', so perhaps something there to investigate?.

laptopdunce 12:03 23 Oct 13

I have found that a google toolbar was installed on my IE browser, so I removed this from the control panel but when I lot into hotmail it wont open my emails or any of the drafts/sent folders, but it works fine if I use google chrome browser, do ou think this is all related to the new Avast?? what should I do? should I remove Avast and use a different antivirus? if so, which one?? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

spuds 12:28 23 Oct 13

What Internet Explorer version are you using. The latest version or an older version, plus what operating system?.

laptopdunce 12:41 23 Oct 13

Hi, I have a windows 7 OS, I am not sure which version of IE browser is operating (how do I find that out?) BUT I have just uninstalled the current version of the Avast (with the wifi off) then I reinstalled it when restarted and on internet with the 2014 version of Avast and lo and behold the ie. is opening my emails properly in Hotmail, so I think it must have been the version of Avast that I was running, it seems to have stopped sending that awful "beetle" window when I go into Gmail from IE too, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

spuds 12:51 23 Oct 13

If you click on the Internet Explorer 'Help' section at the top of the page in Internet Explorer, you should find 'About Internet Explorer' in the drop-down. Click on that, and it should provide a drop-down explaining what version of IE you have, plus other details.

laptopdunce 13:08 23 Oct 13

Hi, it says it is IE verion 10 version 10.0.9200.16721 update version 10.0.10 (KB2879017) - what do you think?? I am still getting this little beetle icon coming on Avast when I log into Gmail from my IE browser, it says it is a threat about something called "bankfraud" and something about make it a "false/positive" at the bottom of this window. This has have happened before when I go into Gmail or Google from my IE browser. thnaks LAPTOPDUNCE

laptopdunce 13:14 23 Oct 13

this is what it says on the little window that Avast brings up when I log into gmail from my IE browser;-

Avast file system system shield has blocked a threat object: c:/users/..servicelogin(5).htm Infection: HTML/Bankfraud-BYL[Trj] - action:moved to chest, Process: C;/programm files (x 86)...IEXPLORE. EXE the threat ewas detected and blocked when the file was created or modified - report this as a false/positive

At the bottom of the window is the blue highlighted click on link to "report this as a false positive" what should I do? I am just ignoring it at the moment. thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

spuds 13:17 23 Oct 13

Looks like you are using the latest version of Internet Explorer?.

With regards to your other concerns, then I would need to do something like a Google search for further information or advice, but I cannot do this at the moment, because I have some dog walking and animal feeding to do. Perhaps you can try this search yourself, or wait for someone who might have more experience and possibly the answer for you?.

laptopdunce 13:32 23 Oct 13

ok

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…