Avast & AVG

deneka 15:18 21 Dec 04

I had AVG free edition on my PC, but found that viruses we're still getting, upon a recommendation. I decided to download Avast instead.
I tried to uninstall AVG and thought that I had, I downloaded Avast and got an error message, basically saying that Avast was disabled as it detected AVG still on my pc and the two could not run together.
So I clicked add/remove programs and found AVG, clicked to uninstall and got the following error message :

16 bit Windows subsystem:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application.

Now I don't have a clue what that means, or what to do. At the moment I don't think I am protected from viruses and really need to get rid of AVG so that Avast works correctly. I tried searching for autoexec.nt file on the pc and it appears that it doesnt exsist.

HELP :(

rômanab 15:24 21 Dec 04
  Belatucadrus 15:25 21 Dec 04

Try click here My Uninstaller or click here total uninstall. If those don't work try reloading AVG then remove it again.

john-232317 15:32 21 Dec 04

Typed your error in google and came up with this...have a read through it may help.

click here

Sethhaniel 15:59 21 Dec 04

copy Autoexec.nt from C:\windows\repairto C:\windows\system32
or Run SFC /Scannow with system disk

or search 16 bit Windows subsystem in our forum here ;)

deneka 16:06 21 Dec 04

When putting XP disc in drive, clicking run and typing

expand c:\i386\autoexec.nt_c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt (and also without the word expand - didn't know how you mean't)

I get the following message :

The Filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Sethhaniel 16:18 21 Dec 04

think those commands have to be done in DOS Start/Programs/Accessories/Command prompt

expand c:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

plus space between nt_ & c:\

deneka 16:33 21 Dec 04

Thankyou all. resolved now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…