Avast & AVG

deneka 15:18 21 Dec 04

I had AVG free edition on my PC, but found that viruses we're still getting, upon a recommendation. I decided to download Avast instead.
I tried to uninstall AVG and thought that I had, I downloaded Avast and got an error message, basically saying that Avast was disabled as it detected AVG still on my pc and the two could not run together.
So I clicked add/remove programs and found AVG, clicked to uninstall and got the following error message :

16 bit Windows subsystem:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application.

Now I don't have a clue what that means, or what to do. At the moment I don't think I am protected from viruses and really need to get rid of AVG so that Avast works correctly. I tried searching for autoexec.nt file on the pc and it appears that it doesnt exsist.

HELP :(

rômanab 15:24 21 Dec 04
  Belatucadrus 15:25 21 Dec 04

Try click here My Uninstaller or click here total uninstall. If those don't work try reloading AVG then remove it again.

john-232317 15:32 21 Dec 04

Typed your error in google and came up with this...have a read through it may help.

click here

Sethhaniel 15:59 21 Dec 04

copy Autoexec.nt from C:\windows\repairto C:\windows\system32
or Run SFC /Scannow with system disk

or search 16 bit Windows subsystem in our forum here ;)

deneka 16:06 21 Dec 04

When putting XP disc in drive, clicking run and typing

expand c:\i386\autoexec.nt_c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt (and also without the word expand - didn't know how you mean't)

I get the following message :

The Filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Sethhaniel 16:18 21 Dec 04

think those commands have to be done in DOS Start/Programs/Accessories/Command prompt

expand c:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

plus space between nt_ & c:\

deneka 16:33 21 Dec 04

Thankyou all. resolved now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac