Avast AV.

Meshuga 19:28 21 Oct 04

Can anyone give me information regading Avast AV such as it`s ease of use, it`s efficiency,updating,and a comparison between it and Norton AV 2003. Any tips gratefully received.Meshuga.

Carpigiani 19:40 21 Oct 04

I have used Avast for several months now & find it very easy to use. It updates itself automatically regularly. I find the user interface simple and effective. No problems with viruses since I started using it.

Don't even get me started on Norton.
Dumped them earlier this year when I could not continue with my subscription to Internet Security 2002 after a reformat. Because their website did not support a transfer for 2002 & it would have cost me £18 to phone them. My subscription had 8 months left.
If you already have Norton AV & decide to uninstall it you will need to visit their site for a small download to uninstall it completely.

Belatucadrus 19:56 21 Oct 04

I concur regarding avast! fully automated update system checks when you log on and every four hours after that. That's why avast users don't post update info, no point. The updates produced for it by alwil come on line as quickly as any other supplier. The free version looses the scan scheduler, but you can select the avast screen saver so the PC can scan itself when it's idle. I've used it for nearly two years now without any problems and all e-mail worms received detected and binned in the required fashion.

Meshuga 20:01 21 Oct 04

Have actually removed Norton AV using their own uninstall prog which has uninstalled it completely and I have downloaded Avast version 4.1-418.Seems ok. I have 2 round icons in the task bar near the clock, one marked i and the other marked a. Is this normal? Also, how do I visually see the results of any scan? Thanks for your patience. Meshuga.

Carpigiani 20:09 21 Oct 04

To see the log right click the icon with the (a) left click 'avast log viewer' & usec the icons on the left to check.
As far as the icon by the clock with the (i) in it i'm afraid I don't know.
But in the log viewer (i) means notice of updates. I will try to find out more, unless siomeone else beats me to it.

Meshuga 20:11 21 Oct 04

I have the free version,so how do I select the Avast screen saver and am I right in thinking that there is no need to manually update. From what you have said it would appear that that is not possible anyway. How do you stop it running if neccessary. Apologies for all the quetions but I don`t want to muck anything up.( I`m good at that.)

mbp 20:23 21 Oct 04

Meshuga: Norton's programs are known for being very invasive and is logged deep into you OS. Admittedly, first use the Norton's Uninstaller to uninstall, then you should use a third party Cleaner to clean out traces of Norton. I used "Registry First Aid" (safe),use Google), and I was staggered at the amount of tentacles that was still in my computer. Clean up first with Norton AV, then with reference to Symantec. There are many threads on this topic and in other forums as well as to techniques of removing Norton, if you want to really clean up after your uninstall.

Carpigiani 20:26 21 Oct 04

You can stop it, pause it or exit completely from the right click menu. You can even force an update if you want to. But this is not necessary.
Don't forget to register your version. When you apply they will send you an e-mail with your licence key.

Meshuga 20:37 21 Oct 04

for all responses, also for bearing with a (very) old novice. I`ll no doubt be coming back for more. Regards,Meshuga.

Belatucadrus 22:37 21 Oct 04

Setting the screen saver is easy, open the control panel and select display properties, select the screen saver tab, from the drop down list of screen savers select "avast! anti virus" Then use the settings button to fine tune what you want it to do when running. Click on OK and that's it.

Cook2 22:40 21 Oct 04

Info on the 'I'.

VRDB

VRDB stands for "Virus Recovery Database"; it was known as "Integrity Database" in previous avast! versions. The aim of VRDB is to help when, despite all the security measures, a virus gets inside the computer and the files are infected. With the help of VRDB, it is possible to repair infected files (return them exactly to their original state). VRBD is announced by an icon with the letter "i" in the system tray (next to the clock). If the icon is animated, the database is being created right now.

VRDB PRINCIPLE

avast! creates an integrity database, i.e. it stores information about the actual state of the files, doing it three versions back for each file. The database creation/maintenance is performed either when the computer is idle, or when the screen-saver is running (any screen-saver, not only the avast! one). This database, once it is created, is updated each three weeks (this value may be changed by editing avast4.ini).
If any file is infected by a virus, it is possible to repair it, i.e. turn it to its original state. If there are multiple versions of the file in the database, you can choose which version you want to restore.

SETTINGS

The settings of VRBD can be changed by clicking on the icon in the system tray with the right mouse button. There are three options:

Generate VRDB when computer is idle. avast! will create its database only when the computer is idle, i.e. when it is not being used.
Generate VRDB only when screen-saver is running. avast! will create its database during the time screen-saver is running. It may be any screen-saver, not only the one included in avast!
Disable VRDB generation. avast! will neither create, nor update the database. If you select this option, it will not be possible to repair virus infected files in the future!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Content Copyright © 1988-2004 ALWIL Software.
All Rights Reserved. See Welcome page for more info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…