Avast and ashoutxt.dll

SURVEY 15:18 02 Mar 10

Recently updated from Avast 4 to 5. All works well except when loading Outlook. I get a message saying 'the add-in C:\Program files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashoutxt.dll could not be installed or loaded' Interesting as I have nothing of Avast4 shwoing on the computer. Avast suggestion is to delete a file 'extend.dat'.

Surely Avast should be able to address the problem directly rather than have to delete a file unless it was one of Avast's own files. Has anyone any advice here please?

SURVEY 15:22 02 Mar 10

Just checked and the file 'extend.dat' is located in Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and shows as being modified on the date that I installed Avast 5. Could this be a file inserted by Avast and thus Avast are just suggessing that it should be deleted now? Does it do anything else?

SURVEY 15:26 02 Mar 10

Looking this up on the Internet, it would appear that by renaming the extend.dat file to say .bak the file rebuilds itself to extend.dat. So fingers crossed with the error message gone, all should now be OK!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…