//some 3rd party need geo

Avast anti-virus detection failure!!

spuds 10:25 16 Apr 06

This morning decided to do a computer spring clean. Doing a scan using Ad-Aware SE, Avast kicked in stating that there was a virus present. Followed the Avast instructions and dealt with the warning!.

Avast is running all the time, and is updated automatically, so I assume that everything is running to plan.

Question: How did Avast miss this virus (if there was one), as no previous warning had been given.The computer was connected to the internet at that time, so the virus had not just crept into the system. Should I have doubts about the effective detection rate of Avast!.

spuds 10:27 16 Apr 06

Correction: The computer 'was not' connected to the internet at the time.

researcher 10:30 16 Apr 06

spuds, no idea unfortunatly but I have found that all anti-viruse programms will pick up things after they have been installed - Panda/McAfee (paid for)and AVG (free)to my direct knowledge.

gudgulf 10:39 16 Apr 06

I think what you are seeing is Avast's on access scanner in action.....you probably had a compressed file on the pc containing the malware...Adaware opened it to scan it.

Avast scans all openning files so would have also scanned the file and found the nasty.

I'd say that Avast was doing its job!

spuds 10:46 16 Apr 06

Thanks guys for the fast response. Can get a little alarming, when you think that a nasty is hidden away, and Avast may have failed.

I have AVG on another computer, and this seems fine.

gudgulf 11:03 16 Apr 06

It's worth remebering that Avast doesn't run scheduled systems scans as default.......you have to set it up to do that.

AVG runs daily checks as default.

All that means is you might well put or get an infected file on your pc that wont be picked up unless you choose to scan the pc,or have set a regular(or screensaver) scan routine OR most importantly, it tries to open or run.....then Avast will pounce.

AVG will get the file on a routine scan.

Both will protect you pc from the malware.I prefer to choose when to run my full system av scans so the method employed by Avast suits me better than AVG.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:06 16 Apr 06

Avast may have failed.

I have AVG on another computer, and this seems fine.

Two Antivirus programs on the same computer can cause conflicts, as each detectts the others' virus definitions as a virus problem.

Guessing Adaware looked at AVG's virus definitions and Avast flagged them up as a problem

spuds 11:23 16 Apr 06

Fruit Bat-- The two computers have no connection and are run as completely different systems, so no conflictions problems!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…