Avast 6.0.1125 not allowing internet connection on startup

John-P 13:01 PM 16 Jun 11
Answered

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can offer any help please?

System: My computer is an acer aspire laptop, running windows 7 Home premium service pack 1, 32-bit system. The Avast I have is the free version of 6.0.1125 with virus definitions 110616-0 which is up to date as of time of writing this post. I have disabled windows firewall, and have no other anti virus programs installed.

The Problem: When I start up my laptop its starts up as you would expect, but when I try to access the internet it will not connect at all to any web page, the browser opens but I get a continuing message saying connecting, but it never completes. However if I disable avast I can then connect to the internet as normal, I can then enable avast and continue to be connected to the internet. The same problem occurs when I use Internet explorer, Mozilla firefox, and Google chrome.

It is a bit of a pain having to disable and enable avast each time to be able to connect to the internet, has anyone had this problem before or can offer me any advice please?

What I have tried so far: I have already described that I have tried disabling the windows firewall which doesn't help. I have uninstalled and reinstalled avast and re-registered to avail. I have tried using Internet explorer, firefox, and google chrome.

Thanks, John :)

northumbria61 13:06 PM 16 Jun 11

Try contacting AVAST support link text

John-P 13:31 PM 16 Jun 11

Thanks for the link. I have already contacted them and posted on their forum and im awaiting a response. Thought it worth trying here in the meantime.

John :)

rdave13 17:55 PM 16 Jun 11
Answer

Try this, open Avast and select settings (top right) and select troubleshooting. Tick the box to load Avast services only after loading other system services.

John-P 16:39 PM 17 Jun 11

I was just coming online to let everyone know that it was now resolved, and give the resolution, and Dave you have pointed out the exact solution that fixed it so thanks very much for your help.

John :)

Housten 17:52 PM 17 Jun 11

That's interesting! I use avast! and have the same edition and the solution that rdave13 is suggesting isn't necessary on my computer and yet I have no problem on the internet at all. Anyone have an answer to the reason for this difference, please?

rdave13 17:58 PM 17 Jun 11

I can only assume that Avast blocks that certain type of connection for some reason. Once connected, though, and Avast starts, then it's accepted.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…