Avant browser

Creditman 18:46 15 Apr 04

Having read all the enthusiastic comments I installed it. Yes it looks fine but surely many of the main benefits claimed - disabling animations, pictures, sounds etc are all available with IE in the advanced options menu ? And what is Activex which can also be disabled ? (And popups can be blocked by Google)

GaT7 19:25 15 Apr 04

if I can win you over!

"ActiveX is a code that defines Microsoft’s interaction between web servers, clients, add-ins and Microsoft Office applications. ActiveX is Microsoft’s answer to Java technology from Sun Microsystems..." click here to learn more.

Some of the main benefits I'd say are the 'tabbed' browsing*, ability to save opened pages on exit*, ability to clear certain records, ability to change the search engine & use mouse gestures (among others). IE cannot do these. Also if you go into Tools -> Avant Browser options - you'll see many extra features not in IE.

*E.g. there are 6 sites you visit regularly. If you open all of them in Avant Browser (AB) & then shut it down the next time you open AB it'll be opening those pages - IE cannot do this (this needs to be configured in AB I think). This is where the tabbed browsing also comes into it's own. Open 4 or more sites in AB, then use buttons at top right to easily switch between them or view them all in smaller windows to chose which one you want to enlarge. Do you see the convenience?

I suppose in the end it comes down to each individual's preference. Initially, I used it for more than a month without actually putting any of it's features to good use & felt much the same as you do now. I'm sure the more you use the features of AB to your advantage the more you'll grow to like it - give it some time.

[OK makers of AV I humbly accept your Favourite User award! (bow, blush) ; ))) ]

anon1 19:29 15 Apr 04

I tried it and didn't like it much. The one feature I really did not like was that it opened windows behind each other and made it difficult to see if any windows were open. IE places extra windows on the task bar. I may have missed something in the set up but at the moment avant is not for me.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:36 15 Apr 04

Avant tabs the open windows on the lower taskbar.

Ho hum.

Creditman 21:23 15 Apr 04

Thanks for those answers. At moment I'm not convinced it's worth keeping. (One toolbar item I can't find is print preview, which I want).

Lionheart ? 21:25 15 Apr 04

Tried it myself, but it kept locking up and not display pages.

VoG II 21:28 15 Apr 04

Not a fan either. I prefer Firefox click here

TommyRed 21:32 15 Apr 04

Whereabout on the lower taskbar? I have the same problem with Avant as anon1. TR

GaT7 21:46 15 Apr 04

Print Preview?

Press File. Scroll down to Print Preview...

"Whereabout on the lower taskbar? I have the same problem with Avant as anon1"

View -> Windows Tabs

TommyRed 22:56 15 Apr 04

Thanks, it seems faster than IE. I think I'll like it now that I've got those tabs sorted. TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…