Avanced System Care Pro causing problems??

compumac 18:12 12 Sep 10

Been using ASC free edition for some considerable time until about three weeks ago and then upgraded to the free (12 month) Pro edition. Since that time no other applications have been installed and ever since that time the PC has become slower and slower, till over this weekend it literally crawled along, with error messages coming up referring to programmes not being able to start etc. In this time it was found that three exe files - mcshield, mcsvhost, mcagent and searchfinder were hogging resources. Yesterday I reinstalled an Acronis image from a month ago (prior to installation of ASC Pro) and it is now zooming along. I realise that the first files mentioned are part of McAfee Total Protection but on other PC's that I have that use McAfee Total Protection, these files do not seem to come into play enough to cause concern, also now on the main PC there is little or no continuous activity from thos particular files. Other PC's do not have ASC Pro on them but the free basic version. Is it just coincidence that the problem only started after installation of ASC Pro? I suspect McAfee Total Protection but just pose the question - has anyone had problems with ASC Pro?

Pineman100 18:45 12 Sep 10

If you're not using Mcafee Total Protection, I would completely remove all remnants of it. Having more than one security suite on your computer can often cause problems.

click here

compumac 19:01 12 Sep 10

Pineman
Do I take it that you mean McAfee Total Protection and ASC conflict? Both of these have been on my PC's along with Emsisoft Antmalware for some months without, to my knowledge, any conflicts.

compumac 22:04 12 Sep 10

One of two bumps

sunnystaines 07:35 13 Sep 10

last resort try reinstall of both

compumac 09:34 13 Sep 10

sunnystaines
At this time McAfee is installed and my intention is to leave installation of ASC Pro until later in the week. I do not think that there is a conflict, but it just seemed strange that the problems began almost immediately after upgrading to ASC Pro. I Believe that McAfee just became unstable for whatever reason and started downhill.
I wondered if anyone has had similar problems that might have been caused by ASC Pro?

rawprawn 10:20 13 Sep 10

I run ASC Pro together with Kaspersky Security Suite with no problems at all.
McAfee is not one of my favourite programs, but I couldn't say that it is causing a conflict.
However I think I would try uninstalling McAfee, and then re install with ASC already installed, and see if it makes a difference.

compumac 10:37 13 Sep 10

rawprawn
Thanks for comment. My thoughts are that it was one of those things that happen and I was prepared for the situation with Acronis backup images. Just curious as to whether there have been problems with ASC Pro?

Pineman100 10:59 13 Sep 10

I can't say for sure whether there's some conflict between Mcafee and ASC, but - rightly or wrongly - I inferred from your OP that you were no longer actively using Mcafee.

If that is the case, then given that security software tends generally to cause more conflicts than other types of programs, I would uninstall Mcafee and see whether that resolves the problem.

If it does, then you could try reinstalling, to see whether its installation *after* ASC makes any difference.

Basically, I'm suggesting a permutated "suck-it-and-see" approach. Not very scientific, perhaps!

compumac 11:17 13 Sep 10

Pineman100
I personally do not believe that there is a conflict between ASC and McAfee, and as you say it is "a suck it and see" situation which is why the ASC Pro will not go on for a few days. All I would say is what would I have done without Acronis!!!

sunnystaines 12:02 13 Sep 10

have you tried the newer product by iobit called iobit toolbox most of the same tools are there and it is free

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009