Availability Socket A CPUs

fleetchiefgeorge 11:51 12 Apr 06

At present I have an ASUS A7N266motherboard in my PC with an AMD Athlon XP1800(1536) CPU. In accordance with ASUS instructions I have upgraded BIOS to version 1004 which they advise will allow motherboard to operate with AMD Athlon XP2000 and above.
However, it seems that the availability of the Athlon range is now limited because of the introduction of the Sempron 64 bit CPUs. I hhave tried to loacte a supplier of Athlon CPUs but without much success. Any recommendations?

bjh 12:12 12 Apr 06

This may help,
click here
but you may well find it cheaper to upgrade your motherboard & buy a new processor to fit that. Well, not fully cheaper, but economically sensible.

Otherwise there's always Ebay, of course

Stuartli 16:22 12 Apr 06

Have you looked on e-Bay?

click here

Stuartli 16:25 12 Apr 06

On a Buy Now basis rather than auction bidding.

Pandaa 16:51 12 Apr 06

yea there are quite a few at the moment for auction from a fiver to about 30 quid ,but be careful ,there are some dodgy poeple out there as i have found with ebay,but i got a mobo yesterday for 4.20 +4.00 postage now that cant be bad for a jetway !

Stuartli 17:26 12 Apr 06

I've bought many an item on e-Bay without any problems.

But I do thoroughly check out the sellers' feedback etc and because the transactions have proved satisfactory, use such sellers again if possible.

Pandaa 19:15 12 Apr 06

i agree with you totally and in fairness it was just the one that i have problems with ,but since then he`s been expelled from ebay ,also a couple of other poeple he done it to got hold of me as well ,cuase i started a dispute the works ,:) hehe but had no other probs ,touch wood ,good site ,especially catching 03.00 bargains ,:)

keef66 23:22 12 Apr 06

I've been through the same exercise; socket A mobo, Athlon xp 2100. In theory can upgrade to a 2400, but they are no longer available retail and I'm not happy to gamble on Ebay. Also the performance increase wouldn't be spectacular, so it's probably not worth the hassle.

If I do upgrade it will be with a mobo / cpu /graphics card bundle, so I get PCI-express mobo / graphics card and an Athlon 64 cpu, eg this from Low:

click here

alan227 09:28 13 Apr 06

You might find this page interesting.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5