AV Security Virus - HELP!

SallyC 11:46 11 Jul 10

Partner's laptop has been infected by the AV Security Virus & I'm struggling to remove it. I can't get on to the web on his laptop to download the suggested Malwarebytes as suggested in the post 2/8/09. I have tried booting in Safe Mode (F8) but when pressed enter on the 2nd screen (Windows XP Professional) I just got a list of drivers & couldn't go any further. I can't get into 'Add or Remove programmes', any of the antivirus software (I was running AVG free with Comodo firewall & superantispyware) Basically it's blocking me from doing anything & I am out of my depths. Can anyone give me step by step instructions of how to get rid of this.
It is a Dell Latitude D610 running on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (I think, as even looking at Properties is being blocked)

Pine Man 11:55 11 Jul 10

If all else fails I think that F10 will restore the lap top to it's original condition but all files will be lost.

provider 2 11:56 11 Jul 10

This from BleepingComputer should help but it won`t be quick or easy: click here

SallyC 13:04 11 Jul 10

Thanks provider 2, that worked fine - I was tearing my hair out!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…