AutoText entries missing - help, please.

Tenner 17:07 28 Jan 03

Win98SE plus Word 97.

Until recently, I have been building a series of personalised entries in AutoText for my business letters, and this has been a great time-saver.

Suddenly, I have glitches ...

My problems are now i)desk top icons don't activate items in My Documents ii) that all my personal entries in Auto Text have disappeared, leaving only those supplied by $MS and iii) page numbering omits page 2

Where will they have gone ? and are they recoverable ? Please don't tell me I have to re-install Word 97 and start again ! !

In anticipation , thanks.

My regards

jazzypop 18:02 28 Jan 03

Have you changed or re-organised your Paragraph Styles, or made significant changes to Normal.dot?

AutoText entries are stored within Paragraph Styles - see click here

jazzypop 18:04 28 Jan 03

To check what AutoText entries you have, Word allows you to print a list, which you can use as a reference. To print an AutoText list, follow these steps:

1. Select Print from the File menu. Word displays the Print dialog box.

2. Using the Print What pull-down list, select AutoText Entries.

3. Click your mouse on OK.

Tenner 17:45 29 Jan 03

Many thanks for your advice - getting to work on it now, will inform of results

Regards

Tenner 17:33 30 Jan 03

As promised, reporting back ...

No joy, at all, I'm afraid.

I guess it's back to square one .....

Many thanks once again

jazzypop 17:39 30 Jan 03

Sorry to hear that they are gone :(

It might be helpful, now that you know you can't lose what isn't there, to search your hard drive for all instances of normal.dot and rename or delete them.

Word will create a fresh copy when it next restarts. This is likely to fix the other problems that you mentioned.

It's strange how backups are only important *after* this sort of event, isn't it? Sadly, most of us have had to learn the hard way.

Tenner 00:24 31 Jan 03

It seems I'm on yet another steep learning curve here ! I do back up , not as often as I should , but the back ups are documents not programs. Recalling an old document doesn't bring up previous autotext - or am I missing something ?

Once again , thanks for your help

Regards

VoG™ 00:26 31 Jan 03

AutoTexts are stored in NORMAL.DOT, not in documents.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…