Autosum problem in Excel

sheila.weston 10:18 21 Jan 10

I have a spreadsheet for showing where the money goes. The left hand columns have the date, redit card outgoings and current account outgoings.

I then have several columns for categories like food, clothing, hobbies etc

Is there any way to have the sum of each column updated automaticaly at the bottom of the spreadsheet (say on row 500? At the moment I manually insert the autosum, then select the figures in each column, and repeat this nthe next month.

howard64 15:20 21 Jan 10

I simply set a formular ie = d1 + c3 etc., and I do this for each entry. Change the initial figure and the whole line updates.

VoG II 15:26 21 Jan 10

You can use for example

=SUM(A1:A499)

which will sum only cells that have numbers in that range, ignoring blanks and text.

sheila.weston 15:36 21 Jan 10

Many thanks, both. I have never used formulas before. So it isn't possible to use just one 'formula' etc to put the totals of the respective columns all along the bottom, just the individual formulae? [Yes, I am very lazy <grin>].

I usually use the autosum symbol.

VoG II 15:40 21 Jan 10

In A500 enter the formula I gave above.

Click in A500, hover the cursor over the bottom right of the cell until the cursor turns into a + then hold down the left mouse button and drag right to copy the formula to as many columns as needed then release the mouse button. Excel will automatically adjust the dragged formulas to refer to the correct column.

dasli 18:01 21 Jan 10

useful,thanks

Rahere 23:32 21 Jan 10

If you are going to make long lists of figures then I suggest you make the totals above the top of the columns - the VoG™ method applies!

sheila.weston 14:53 27 Jan 10

Good idea, Rahere! Many thanks, all. Problem solved!

gengiscant 14:55 27 Jan 10

Needed this info myself,great.

oldbeefer2 15:09 27 Jan 10

Thanks VoG™

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…