AutoStreamer and Windows XP disks with SP2 .....

johndrew 14:48 21 Feb 08

.. as standard when supplied by Microsoft.

This question is probably for those who enjoy a technical challenge and who understand AutoStreamer - which I do not.

A letter in PCA April 2008 Helproom (Page 141/2) titled `Lost Address Book`, provides a suggestion as to how an updated XP CD can be produced which will incorporate SP2 and other updates to avoid lengthy downloads in the event of a re-installation or repair of the OS.

Effectively I have a CD with SP2 but wish to update with the MS updates since its production in 2002.

Having read the guide click here and examined my XP Pro SP2 OEM CD I can find no file named XPSP2.exe which is a requirement of AutoStreamer. I can find a cabinet called SP2 which presumably contains the same information, but AutoStreamer demands the .exe file.

I use ATI to backup my drives, but an updated XP CD is an obvious advantage to not only learn but provide a tool in the event of major component failure.

Can anyone tell me how to proceed with the production of an updated XP CD using AutoStreamer given these conditions?

Many thanks in anticipation.

rawprawn 15:01 21 Feb 08

You will have to download SP2 so you can slipstream it onto the CD
click here

rawprawn 15:03 21 Feb 08

This was the advice I used when I did it.
click here

keef66 15:07 21 Feb 08

I'd wait till SP3 is released then create a slipstreamed bootable CD incorporating it

click here

johndrew 16:39 21 Feb 08

As I said before, my XP CD from Microsoft already has SP2 incorporated on it but not in the way AutoStreamer demands it.

johndrew 16:41 21 Feb 08

Good idea, but if AutoStreamer wont recognise the XP CD already has SP2 on it how will it react to SP3 I wonder???

rawprawn 16:42 21 Feb 08

Sorry, I misread/misunderstood (Must pay more attention in class)

keef66 21:03 21 Feb 08

not sure about the Autostreamer bit. I'd use the Eldergeek instructions myself

johndrew 10:42 22 Feb 08

No problem. We all do it sometimes.

johndrew 10:43 22 Feb 08

"... Eldergeek instructions ..." ???

johndrew 16:21 22 Feb 08

I suppose this could also be a good question for those in the Helproom of PCA since it was their suggestion. Would they like to take it? I wonder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced