Autoruns (programme)

bluto1 21:46 17 Oct 07

Yesterday evening I installed Autoruns with a view to reducing my Start up content. I merrily unticked everything I thought I didn't want.
Today I booted up, got as far as my desktop with access to my Words and other office programmes, but when I tried to get on the 'net, no chance. I found my Modem wasn't connected so went through the reconnect motions only to find that my DVD-Rom and my DVD-RW were disabled. To be truthful I was near to tears, but I watched The Bill to calm me down, came back, booted up and opened Autoruns and ticked everything that was unticked. All is now well, insomuch as I can ask you Ladies and Gentlemen what I'm allowed to switch off. I shall be eternally greatful for any help.

Devil Fish 21:50 17 Oct 07

ist off what os are you running windows 2000 xp vista etc

bluto1 22:00 17 Oct 07

OS is XPSP2

Devil Fish 22:09 17 Oct 07

win xp

you do not actually need to use a 3rd party program to stop startup programs

click on start then run and tpye in msconfig then press the enter/return button you will be presented with a grey box

click on the startup tab this will give you a list of startup programs

as a rule of thumb anything listed as C:\windows\system leave well alone also your av needs to start up with the system

if you are unsure about a listing do a google search on it and it should give you the info you need

good luck

bluto1 22:35 17 Oct 07

Thanks mate, you've explained that perfectly. Before this I never knew which progs to leave alone. Resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now