badgermansix 23:16 14 Aug 04

I have just been looking at M/S Knowledge Base Article 314855.

My CD-Rom will not run automatically (it used to)when any type of disk is installed, despite reading quite a lot of info, and other M/S K.B. Articles, and following the advice given.

Does this article refer to a "Autorun.inf" file that should be on a CD, or should I have a "Autorun.inf" file somewhere within my PC?

I have done a search for this but cannot find anything.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:22 14 Aug 04

Autorun.inf is usually on the CD.

You call tell XP to autorun removable drives by asscotiating the files.

My computer click CD drive select proteries - autoplay tab and select an action to perform for each type of file.

badgermansix 23:51 14 Aug 04

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\.
I have already attempted this, but without success, I have also checked everything within the registry (I think), and followed M/S K.B. articles 126025, 314098, 330135, and 314855. The drives concerned were o.k. unil I removed Nero5 OEM and then reinstalled it.

I have removed Nero5 altogether now but still no joy.
I am sure that it has left something within the registry or something, but I have used Regscrub, and RegMechanic without any luck.
the Autorun is a minor detail really, but I would like to get to the bottom of this problem.

powerless 23:55 14 Aug 04
  woodchip 00:01 15 Aug 04

You could try, put you windows disc in comp not a restore disc. then from Start/Run type SFC /SCANNOW

badgermansix 19:59 15 Aug 04

This is what I have just done.

I went to device manager and uninstalled both DVD/Rom (D drive) and CD/R R/W (E drive).
Switched off.
I then removed both IDE cables from the mother board.
Switched on and used RegMechanic and RegScrubXP, checked that both drives had been removed.
Switched off and replaced the CDR/RW (E drive)IDE cable to the motherboard, and rebooted again.

The Autorun on "E Drive" is now working as it should.
I am now going to make a Restore point, switch off and reconnect the IDE cable for "D drive" to the Motherboard.

I have put this in before I forget what I have done :-) any thoughts on this please?

badgermansix 06:33 19 Aug 04

When I uninstall the cd/rom, and reboot, the PC finds new hardware i.e. the drive, and the drive works o.k. with autorun.
But when I reboot again, I am back to square one, the Autodrive will not run, any ideas why please?
I have tried Auto-Fix, but I still get the same result, problem which it cannot fix!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…