'Autoplay' keeps spoiling my online gaming!

Cybermaxx 20:20 24 Aug 04

First off, yes I have installed Service Pack 2.

The problem:- when I try to play a game (eg Day of Defeat, Unreal Tournament) online, the game is interrupted continuously by a flashback to the desktop display with a small window marked 'Autoplay' (which looks as if it has an animated picture of a shining torch in it) shown, then it returns to the game. Needless to say, it's making gameplay nigh on impossible.

I've tried switching off the Windows XP Firewall (which is the only security program I have), but it makes no difference.

What I'd like to know is what is the meaning of the Autoplay window? Could this be a driver problem? I have recently installed the latest ATI Catalysts. Cheers.

Cybermaxx (confused)

stalion 20:25 24 Aug 04

your game is on this list scroll down to the bottom of the page
click here

Cybermaxx 20:31 24 Aug 04

Hmmm, so it has problems with Unreal Tournament?! That's no good! No mention of DoD though.

Right! How do I uninstall Service Pack 2? If it's going to cause all these problems after only four days I want shot of it!

stalion 20:33 24 Aug 04

control panel add and remove

Cybermaxx 20:37 24 Aug 04

Hmmm, there must be a catch somewhere..... Will I still have the old XP Firewall if I do that?

Cybermaxx 21:01 24 Aug 04

When I go to uninstall SP2, it puts up a list of other programs that may not run properly after SP2 is removed. These are all the programs I've installed since I installed SP2, including the Omega drivers.

I think I'll have a go at re-installing the older Catalyst 4.7 drivers before I remove SP2. If that doesn't work, it's adios to SP2, because I NEED Day of Defeat! Maybe I can re-install SP2 when they get round to de-bugging it......

Dorsai 21:37 24 Aug 04

This sort of problem is why i don't have SP2 yet.

Sorry you all, but i will wait for it to be tested by those who 'must have' the latest thing, and then when it has been (re)fixed, i will get it.

Never buy a new 'anything' the day it lands. Let others buy(get) it, and do the 'real world testing'. then when all the bugs ironed out, get it yourself.

But i must say a big thanks to all those out there who are prepaired to try un-tried stuff. If it was not for you, i might have to try it myself, in un-tried form.

Cybermaxx 22:01 24 Aug 04

Right, Catalyst 4.7 didn't solve the problem, so I've uninstalled Service Pack 2. I then uninstalled Cat 4.7, and installed it again! Problem solved, Day of defeat running 100% fine again. I am now back to using the old one way only Windows Firewall. SP2 WAS the problem.

I must add that I don't like having to do this. I would rather have XP fully updated, but it's obviously faulted so I'll just have to manage without it.

2neat 22:12 24 Aug 04

wots up with Cat 4.8? I think I may turn off auto update for a while!

Cybermaxx 22:26 24 Aug 04

There's nothing wrong with Cat 4.8! I just wanted to try a different driver, in case that was the problem. It wasn't though. SP2 ws the problem.

stalion 22:29 24 Aug 04

thanks for posting the end result it may help others.Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…