Autoplay of DVD

the old man 19:41 17 May 06

Have gone into properties of DVD drive via my computer and told it to play DVD movies with PowerDVD.
However the file is an IFO file and the DVD starts to play in windows media. Cannot see how to change it and also autoplay does not actually work when I put the DVD into the drive. Have to click on the IFO file for it to play.
Any ideas.

De Marcus™ 19:47 17 May 06

Right-click on the .ifo file and select 'open with' then select choose program (even if power-dvd is in the list). You'll be presented with a list of programs, choose Power dvd (if it's not in the list, browse for it) and put a tick in the box 'always use the selected program to open this kind of file' and click ok.

the old man 20:05 17 May 06

Have tried that but it didn't work. If I set the file to play with windows media there is no problem. When I change back and tell it to play with PowerDVD it won't go. I did notice that on the PowerDVD screen it did say DVD on HDD mode. will that have any bearing.

De Marcus™ 20:17 17 May 06

I'm getting ahead of myself, 'explore' the DVD and locate the .vob files. Repeat the above procedure, ignoring any .ifo files.

the old man 20:42 17 May 06

DVD is no3 of 3 discs about the ashes cricket series from last year. Disc has 2 folders, audio ts which is empty and video ts which is 6.91gb and contains file names as follows,
Video_ts.bup
Video_ts.ifo
Video_ts.vob
However when I open the Video TS folder there are files which are IFO, MPEG and backupfile of IFO.
No file is highlighted as a *.VOB file or am I missing something.

De Marcus™ 20:55 17 May 06

Usually, when a DVD disk is burned the resultant format is in the form of a .vob file. Your disk has an mpeg file. Basically what the above procedure will do is set powerdvd as the default player for certain file types, if you repeat the procedure again with the .mpeg in place of the .vob, powerdvd should play the disk, and any subsequent file types of the mpeg nature. If it's only the one particular disk you want powerdvd to play, then you can simply start powerdvd up and use the file browser to locate the file/disk and open/play it. Another method would be to right click the dvd drive and select 'play with powerdvd'.

the old man 21:14 17 May 06

sorry to say that none of the above enable me to play the b****y thing. the last option is not even available when I right click the DVD drive.
I could just play it in win media player but that really defeats the object.

Woolwell 11:17 18 May 06

Noticed that this hasn't been ticked as resolved.

Do other discs open and autoplay with PowerDVD?
Do the first 2 of the set play ok?
If they do then it would suggest that there is a problem with Disc 3.
If they don't or you cannot get any other DVD to autorun and play in PowerDVD then I suggest that you uninstall and re-install it.

the old man 19:59 18 May 06

Just tried a 3 stooges dvd in the drive and that would not autoplay either. have to explore folder and right click on first/largest mpeg file and tell it to open with powerdvd.
will take your advice and reinstall and see if that remedies the problem.

skidzy 20:28 18 May 06

Now im not sure if you have tried this,hopefully you can follow me:

(1) Open Power Dvd from a short cut on your desktop

(2) Conrol + C

(3) You should be in Configuration/General

(4) Tick all boxes

(5) Ok

(6) Now insert dvd

(7) This may start in Media player (close this down)

(8) Start > Right click My Computer > Properties > Click Autoplay > Scroll down to play dvd Movies > you should now have Power dvd showing.

(9) Click on power dvd once (should turn blue) > Click apply and ok.

(10) Reinsert the Dvd...if this works,it should start in Power Dvd.

It works for me.
Good luck

the old man 20:52 18 May 06

Got to no. 6 but when inserted dvd nothing happened.
skip no. 7
did as advised in no. 8 but autoplay option not available.
stopped process.
any advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…