automatically refreshing a page

tomleady 16:14 09 Dec 03

i often update this site (click here), mainly the home page. what i need, is for when it loads, for it to load the latest version i have uploaded automatically, without having to press F5. i know that F5 needs to be pressed, but i have had feedback to say that they (people) see and old version.

without telling them to delete their internet fiels, what is the way of doing it?

i've tried putting in " meta http-equiv="refresh" content="20">", but that annoys the hell out of me when it refreshes.

sorry if i havent explained it very well.
any help is great.

Jester2K II 16:37 09 Dec 03

The problem is that when you view a web page you are most probably viewing a copy cached at your ISP. F5 redownloads that page. CTRL + F5 forces a refresh from the webserver hosting the page.

I don't think there's much you can do other than post a message to say "Hit F5 to make sure you have the latest page"

I get this from time to time on my site - you need to educate the viewers really...

Unless anyone can show me to be wrong (again)!!

tomleady 09:31 10 Dec 03

thanks for that.

i'll have to put up some kind of message. i'll contact my host people and see if they can do anything.

Taran 11:21 10 Dec 03

You can embed several code snippets to force a refresh at a time interval of your choice and however many times you want - as in loop the refresh every x seconds or refresh once only.

click here for one of many examples. This one in particluar is very nice and is well explained. You can alter its parameters to suit and use the examples in several ways.

I like this example because it takes older browsers into account.

You can use other methods and languages but the above link is one of the nicest I've seen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…