automatically getting an ip address on DSL

my computer was working fine then i turned it on and all of a sudden i get the following message.

you might not be able to connect to the internet or some network resources. this problem occured because the network did not assign a network address to the computer.

ive tried to repair connection and get the following message

windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed renewing your IP address.

however i know it is working because i can connect my laptop to DSL no problems using the USB connection.
The desk top that im having problems with uses a ethernet card to connect to DSL.

any help would be great cheers

FelixTCat 00:10 31 Mar 05

The possible causes are a failure of the ethernet cable, ethernet card or driver. First, uninstall and reinstall the driver for the network card and see if that re-establishes the connection.

i unistalled the card with device manager then turned off the pc and removed the card then restarted it. i turned it off again and put the card back in, and it installed ok. however when i put the cable back into the dsl it did exactly the same. ive also tried it in a ethernet hub and it does the same.
i did recently installed avast and it did a virus check getting rid of troj files it said.
but i think its messed everything up because i cant do a system restore either.
do you think that it got rid of some files from the computer that it needed. if so how do i get them back??
i use win xp home and its a realtek 10/100 ethernet card. ive also tried changing the cable.

FelixTCat 08:59 31 Mar 05

Are you trying to connect to the modem at the same time with ethernet and USB? I don't think modems allow that.

no i disconnect the laptop when ive tried to resolve the problem.
ive also just emailed avast support to see if they think a system file has been deleted by the anti virus

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…