automatic www connection

p3t3r 22:43 08 Jul 04

I have XP running on my laptop. 3ghz P4 1gb ram, M10 vid. I have BT broadband at home and have set this up on the laptop. Now I am away from home the laptop constantly tries to connect and I cannot stop it. It interrupts everything I am running to tell me; error 633, my modem is not connected. The process that is asking for the connection is "rsauto". I have tried to "end task" and also to "end process tree" all to no avail. I cannot even find out what program is making the demand. Any ideas?

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:01 08 Jul 04

have a game called runescape do you?

Just done a google and it seems to be related to this game.

kev.Ifty 23:13 08 Jul 04

How about..Start/Run. type msconfig select start and see what prgrams start up when you switch on
untick the one you suspect is causing the problem

Hope this helps

Cheers Kev

p3t3r 16:15 09 Jul 04

I don't think it is malicious but I cannot be sure. I have tried the startup routine but I can't tell what is doing it. I've got Norton firewall and NAV 2004 and Ad-aware all up to date, and nothing comes up as suspicious. It's driving me potty.

kev.Ifty 22:39 09 Jul 04

If you have Norton 2004, then you can block programs accessing the web

open Norton,select firewall/configure
click on programs..
highlight each program in turn..

click modify and then select "block" from the drop down window

Do this for every program except microsoft,windows or symantec
this may cure the problem and, ofcourse you can reinstate each program one-by-one until the culprit shows its face, then maybe you will have a bit more to go on

Cheers Kev

p3t3r 01:41 12 Jul 04

Don't know why it came , and now I don't know why but its gone. Thanks for the help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…