Automatic Updates Query!!

BLUELEN 20:47 12 Oct 04

My father has just phoned to say when he was shutting down his computer it has just gone to a blue screen with a windows xp logo and a notification stating the 1 of 3 updates are being downloaded and not to switch the pc off. He tells me he hasn't got automatic updates on and system has been like this for about 30minutes. Any ideas on whats happened and how he can turn pc off. Thanks

VoG II 20:55 12 Oct 04

If it is saying that updates are being downloaded (not installed) then I think it would be OK to switch off using the on/off button. Normally not recommended but if it is "stuck" ...

BLUELEN 20:59 12 Oct 04

Apparently he has tried to switch off with the on/off button but nothing happened. Don't understand how something is being downloaded when it hasn't been requested and he assures me he's not click on anything!

BLUELEN 21:12 12 Oct 04

Father has just phoned again to say pc still stating that 1 of 3 updates being installed not downloaded as previosly stated. It has been like this for over an hour now. Is it safe to switch power off as nothing else would appear to work?

Waldoc85 21:24 12 Oct 04

The on/off button requires to be held in for 3 to 5 seconds before it switches off the power.

Starfox 21:26 12 Oct 04

what else he could do,sounds like the pc may have frozen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…