Automatic updates fail to boot

sputnick 21:17 18 Nov 05

I am always having problems if I allow Microsoft Automatic updates. My PC goes into an endless boot loop if I do these updates. I should have learnt by now.
I have to re-install Windows each time I do this.
I can`t even get into safe mode to do a system restore.
The last update I did today I looked at all the update files first (not that it meant much to me )before I installed them.
Any suggestions please or should I just turn off automatic updates permanently.
I thought they were supposed to be safe.

phono 22:06 18 Nov 05

I always like to know what is being installed on my PC so Auto updates are turned off, always make a restore point before doing any updates, it may make life a lot easier.

sputnick 22:21 18 Nov 05

Thanks, normally I do have A U turned off.
Also in this case I couldn`t even get into windows by any means to get to my resore points.

phono 23:04 18 Nov 05

Something is obviously wrong with your windows installation, I would suggest a full virus and adware/malware scan. If that does not "cure" your problems I would suggest a full reinstall. I have to admit it is a painful option but, in the long run, it is well worth it.

sputnick 11:38 24 Dec 05

Since my last post I have found that my version of Windows XP pro was not genuine.
I purchased a new license key from Microsoft but it would not let me install as there was a file missing.
A couple of weeks later I received the new Windows CD from Microsoft but it would not let me update or repair as certain files were missing.
As a last resort I did a clean install and since then I have had no problems.
Microsoft updates install with no problems.
The cost of the new key and CD was £92, a lot less than a retail version of Windows XP Pro.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…