Automatic updates

midian 16:39 13 Jul 07

A few days ago i installed the updates that were downloaded automaticlly by windows. My pc went all funny. If i opened My Computer it would just be a blank page and not show the drives etc and it wouldnt close, then nothing else i opened would close either. My old man asked me if i had installed any updates?... which i had. He then told me that there are some 'Fake' updates and im just wondering if i had installed these or not.

I have my pc up and running again after installing windows and have not installed ANY updates and turned Automatic updates off. How do i know which updates are fake? i dont want to turn it back on incase i install them again.
Old man also said that the 'fake' updates are from emails only? is this true?

Stuartli 16:43 13 Jul 07

There were a couple of Microsoft updates today as well as on Tuesday (one was for XP).

aesop 17:09 13 Jul 07

midian, sounds like it could be the same update so many are having a problem with i.e. KB928366. So not necessarily a fake. Check out KB928366 on todays listings.

birdface 18:21 13 Jul 07

Only the ones in e-mails are Fake,Automatic up-dates are legit.But the last lot have caused a lot of problems.It may pay you to download up-dates manually from now on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5