Automatic Updates

blackbob 07:56 04 Sep 03

Please help every time I go online Windows update downloads security update 819696.I've now successfully installed it eight times until I realised it was the same update. How do I stop it downloading? or how do I know it is installed?

-pops- 08:16 04 Sep 03

To check it is present and correct look in Add/Remove Programs (from Control Panel).

To stop it downloading in future, turn off Automatic Update. You must remember to check periodically for updates either on the M$ site or look on here. If you do manual updates you will have the choice of what to download.

blackbob 09:26 04 Sep 03

Thank's -pops-
I've looked in Add/Remove Programs it's not there,but when I check Updates installation history it's successfully installed several times. Where do I go from here?Keep on installing? or forget about it? I'm quite concerned as it's a "Critical Update" and I'm still new to computing.

moore_mat 09:37 04 Sep 03

Hi

This may sound like a stupid question, but have you shut your computer down?

I only ask, because some of these updates don't register until you do a full restart. Putting your computer into standby or hibernation doesn't do the same thing..

Regards

Mat

moore_mat 09:39 04 Sep 03

Also, if that isn't it, you could try installing it manually by following the download instructions on this page:-
click here

Regards

Mat

-pops- 09:41 04 Sep 03

This is something to do with DirectX. To read more about it click here

Might give you a clue as to how important it is and whether you can ignore it.

Andsome 10:01 04 Sep 03

If you use XP, you can configure NOT to receive automatic downloads, but instead to be advised that downloads are available.

the lone cloner 16:00 04 Sep 03

go to click here you will find the fix there.

blackbob 16:57 04 Sep 03

Many thanks for the links.
Tried moore_mat & -pops- links "page cannot be displayed"
Tried seekit's link and deleted catroot2 folder and installed updates again, hopefully that solves the problem.
If not will try the lone cloners link tomorrow.
Too busy tonight.I'll tick the resolved box for now but will be back tomorrow

-pops- 17:58 04 Sep 03

Odd that our links didn't work.

They worked for me.

spuds 22:53 04 Sep 03

There would appear to be a slight problem with Microsoft Update downloading at times.To check to see if the Update as installed, try the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer [MBSA].Which is a free download from the Microsoft site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…