Automatic update on SP2

Sixosix 16:58 02 Mar 05

I have full Symantec internet security and do not need all the protection afforded by XP 2. However I have reluctantly installed it to improve XP home and turned off the automatic up dates as I have a dial-up and do not propose to pay for all the time required. Is there any way I can stop the pop-up automatic up-date reminder on start up?

bananaslik 17:22 02 Mar 05

hi Sixosix,go into start/control panel/security centre,at the bottom of the page u will c automatic updates,go into here & select turn off automatic updates this should sort it out for you..

Sixosix 18:45 09 Mar 05

I now have an answer to my own question. Use regedit to HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Advanced. Chose Edit>New>DWORD value. Right click and rename to EnableBalloonTips. The data should read (0) This will stop all tips bubbles. To restore, change value to (1) by copying out one of the values above that has a (1) at the end. Always backup reg before messing with it! Grateful thanks to Future Publishing Ltd and their Focus Guide to the Registry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…