automatic update

thesut 19:34 01 Oct 08

i have windows xp a red shield on my taskbar indicates update is off but when i go to control panel i put it on, but the shield remains saying that its off .

birdface 19:58 01 Oct 08

Security Center.On the left click change the way security center alerts me.Untick automatic updates.Ok

thesut 20:54 01 Oct 08

yes shield has gone but i cant get auto update to stay on i get message sorry but security centre cant change your settings

birdface 21:03 01 Oct 08

Maybe you have to have auto update switched of for it to work properly.I always update manually as I no longer trust some of the updates that Microsoft send out.

thesut 21:21 01 Oct 08

i cant even update manually i get this message The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running: Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install high-priority updates for your computer)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with troubleshooting, if needed)
To make sure these services are running:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click Properties.
10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.

birdface 21:35 01 Oct 08

Have you tried security center.Click at the bottom .Automatic updates.Tick automatic.Apply Ok.See if that fixes it.And maybe you have to reverse getting rid of the red shield.

thesut 21:50 01 Oct 08

i can get rid of shield but i now cant get any updates manually or auto

lynken 22:29 01 Oct 08

Your system, did you buy it second hand or was it provided by a retailer, if it was built for you and xp was loaded or it is second hand then there is the possibility tht the auto updates have been disabled in the registry due to it being a duff copy of windows which means that it will not let you update no matter what you try until the registry has been amended, visit click here

Be aware that if this is the case and you correct the updates then Microsoft will block any updated as it will know that it is not a ligit install.

thesut 22:49 01 Oct 08

its original xp pro i ave discs its been fine till yesterday

thesut 22:49 01 Oct 08

its original xp pro i ave discs its been fine till yesterday

woodchip 22:54 01 Oct 08

I only do Manual also

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5