Automatic powerdown no longer working

TrustNoone 11:18 07 Dec 04

The Pavilion 774 bought March 2003 no longer turns itself off when shutting down, nor does it go into standby mode. Rather, I am left staring at a blu screen with "Windows is shutting down" or "Windows is standing by".

THe HDD seems to try and power itself down and there is the squeaky sound I have come to associate with switching off, but the activity does not complete.

What is going on? How can this be fixed? Is it a critical thing to fix - still inside 2 year warranty (from John Lewis)?

Thanks

Gongoozler 11:30 07 Dec 04

There are a few things that can cause this problem, mostly software related, including Norton AV checking the floppy drive at shutdown. Have a look at this site and see if any of the ideas there help click here

TrustNoone 08:47 08 Dec 04

Thank you for the link. Several issues to consider now:
I have changed the HDD partition to NTFS on second disk;
I have installed NIS 2005.

Looks as if some serious troubleshooting will be required during my Xmas break - if not sooner!

TrustNoone 16:05 08 Dec 04

Well, I disabled Norton GoBack 4.0 and my computer shutsdown normally now, and goes into standby normally too. I have to HDD, both formatted to NTFS.

I shall not proceed to the other possible fixes, but does anyone understand why Norton GoBack caused this problem?

The symantec(click here)website is not very helpful, but I may be asking the wrong question of the "knowledge base".

Gongoozler 18:06 08 Dec 04

Norton AntiVirus gives problems because by default it checks the floppy drive on exit, so if there is no disk in the drive it hangs. Perhaps GoBack has a similar function.

Gongoozler 09:22 09 Dec 04

Good to see that you've solved the problem. What was the cause?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…