Automatic ip address not working

SallyC 12:37 31 Mar 10

Just changed our broadband provider on our return from abroad. We were previously using a wireless router and am now trying to connect to a modem via an ethernet cable. I have got one laptop working fine but the other one (Dell Inspiron 6400 running on windows XP) is refusing to pickup the new IP address. Using the provider's helpline, I went through the IP reconfig/release process but came up with an error message. We then used the override in TCP/IP properties to manually input the IP address but it still comes up with 'limited/no connectivity'. The provider said they couldn't help any further as it was something in the laptop's settings. He suggested uninstalling & reinstalling the network card, or getting a new one, but wasn't able to advise me further.
Is uninstalling/reinstalling a straightforward process or should I take it to a professional to do?
What is involved in getting a new one ie is it a plug in or more complicated than that. I have an extended hardware warranty with Dell, would it be covered?
Does anyone have any suggestions or advice please
Many thanks
SallyC

Sea Urchin 13:07 31 Mar 10

You say you have one laptop working fine - is that connected via Ethernet cable to a modem? If so then how are you trying to connect the other?

oldbeefer3 13:11 31 Mar 10

Some tips here from a while ago click here

SallyC 16:35 31 Mar 10

Sea urchin - I moved the ethernet cable from the ok one to the other laptop & then powered on.
Oldbeefer3 - thanks for this, it looks very similar to what has been happening to me, so I'll run through the stages when I've posted this & see what happens.

Sea Urchin 16:40 31 Mar 10

Thanks - the reason I asked was because I thought you were trying to run both laptops at once from one Ethernet cable. Hope the thread suggested by oldbeefer3 helps you.

SallyC 17:09 31 Mar 10

I followed the instructions & this is what happened
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\Sally>IPCONFIG/ALL
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . : D21B1Y2J
Primary Dns Suffix . :
Node Type . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Physical Address. . . : 00-19-B9-76-33-F8
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address.: 169.254.204.41
Subnet Mask . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . : 169.254.204.41
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Media State . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . : Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card
Physical Address. . . : 00-19-7E-61-03-4A
C:\Documents and Settings\Sally>IPCONFIG/RELEASE
Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . :
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Media State . . . . . : Media disconnected
C:\Documents and Settings\Sally>IPCONFIG/RENEW
Windows IP Configuration
An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out

So it's still not seeing the IP address and I have no idea why.

SallyC 17:18 31 Mar 10

Sea urchin - sadly not, still stubbornly refusing to pick up the IP address

Sea Urchin 17:41 31 Mar 10

Might be some routes to explore here - doesn't all apply to you, but Resolutions 2,4 and 6 might help:

click here

Sea Urchin 17:46 31 Mar 10

I presume you have switched off the modem - left it a few minutes and switched on again. I ask because many people leave their modems on 24/7 and rebooting it might sort the problem.

SallyC 20:16 31 Mar 10

Sea urchin - Is the Windows 'support.exe' file not integral to the running? I haven't used the set-up discs yet (3 yrs later)

SallyC 20:22 31 Mar 10

Blonde question - how can I 'Download and install the Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB884020' when I can't go on-line?!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…