Automatic driver updates

Quickbeam 13:37 20 Dec 06

Can I have any recommendations for driver update utilities... Looking on the web there are loads of them so any practical experience of any is appreciated. Thanks...

Gongoozler 15:58 20 Dec 06

I can't give any recommendations for automatic driver update utilities because I don't use any. I don't think I would want automatic driver updates anyway on the basis of "if it ain't broke don't mend it". If I do ever update a driver, I want to be in control. It's not unknown for a driver update to cause problems, so I would want to know exactly when it happened and be able to revert to the previous version.

Stuartli 16:03 20 Dec 06

If you wish to update or check for updates for a device(s), you should always try the manufacturer's website first.

Probabilitydrive 16:10 20 Dec 06

I once looked for a more convenient driver up-date solution click here but decided against it (too much control handed over to an automated process). That is not to say these sites may provide a good service. I personally download drivers from the manufacturer sites.

Quickbeam 09:37 22 Dec 06

Hmmm, your all very negative on this one... Are they really so disliked by the majority?

Gongoozler 11:58 22 Dec 06

Hi Quickbeam. The only reason I can see for updating drivers is if the system isn't performing properly or if the updated driver will make it work better. Generally the only driver that needs to be updated is the graphics driver when there's a compatibility issue with a game. From following this forum updating graphics drivers is also too often the cause of problems with some games. Hence my opinion that it's best to be in control of the update process.

Quickbeam 16:54 22 Dec 06

Took your advice & just updated the graphics driver. To be honest there was nothing wrong with the system so... if it ain't broke...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now