Automatic connection to the internet

Pine Man 16:10 04 Oct 05

I am running XP SP2 with a broadband connection via a USB modem.

Everyday at 4.00pm my computer automatically connects to the internet but nothing appears to happen. I haven't set any programs to update automatically as far as I am aware and there is nothing in task manager that is set to connect to the internet.

I have all the usual spyware guards and AV software which are up to date and all scans show that I am clear of any nasties.

My computer and internet connection are both working properly.

Is there a simple way of finding out what is activating the connection?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:14 04 Oct 05

Ctl + Alt + Del as it connectects will show you what program is trying to access the net (MSAntispy I believe had a default 4pm update setting)

Pine Man 16:35 04 Oct 05

Thanks for your response I have had a look at Windows Task Manager but there is a great long list of programs running and I'm not sure what most of them mean.

I have had a look at MS Antispy but that is set for 5pm. I have switched of the autoupdate anyway and will see if that makes any difference tomorrow.

ashdav 16:40 04 Oct 05

4pm BST = 5pm GMT perhaps

Jackcoms 16:42 04 Oct 05

By default, Norton Anti-Virus checks for updates every 4 hours. Could that be the culprit?

In Control Panel, switch to Classic view and look in Scheduled Tasks.

Pine Man 16:53 04 Oct 05

ashdav - you may be right but shouldn't it connect at the system time of your PC?

Jackcoms - Checked it out and it is set to check every four hours starting at 17:25 so cannot coincide with 4pm.

Any other ideas out there?

Jackcoms 16:55 04 Oct 05

In fact 6pm BST = 5pm GMT. ;-))

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:29 04 Oct 05

Windows updates the clock automatically for "Daylight saving" so will connect at 4pm windows time.

Have taskmanager open just before $pm and you will see the offending program suddenly appear.

What hve you allowed the firewall to have access to the net? Compare the firewall list with taskmanager to eliminate some progs.

Pine Man 18:24 04 Oct 05

Thanks guys I'll have taskmanager open tomorrow and sit glued to the screen!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…