//some 3rd party need geo

autoexec.nt error message???

shortcircuited 17:12 30 Jan 05

Whenever I start my Windows xp I get the following message

C:windows/system32/autoexec.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-Dos and Microsoft Windows applicaton 'Choose 'close' to terminate the application.

I choose close and everything works OK.

One problem, now I am trying to load programs for Open University course and I keep getting the same message and cannot save the programs onto hard disk.

Please help me get rid of this error message.

Why does it come up.

It is only in the past month or so that it has started.

Thank you

VoG II 17:14 30 Jan 05

click here then on XP_Fix.EXE to download the fix.

shortcircuited 17:21 30 Jan 05

First time I tried it then restarted the computer it still showed an error message.

I just tried it again and tried to save a program and it worked fine this time without the error message.

Hopefully when I next restart my computer the error message will be gone.

Thanks for your help.

You saved me a whole lot of trouble :-)

shortcircuited 17:34 30 Jan 05

I can now save the programs from my disk but still get the error message when restarting.

Good enough for me really, but if there is a simple solution to getting rid of it completely I would'nt mind.

Thanks

shortcircuited 17:34 30 Jan 05

I can now save the programs from my disk but still get the error message when restarting.

Good enough for me really, but if there is a simple solution to getting rid of it completely I would'nt mind.

Thanks

VoG II 17:40 30 Jan 05

The fix yoy ran will have replaced the files.

You now need to do a bit more work. click here and start from Step 6 under "Resolution".

shortcircuited 17:48 30 Jan 05

16. Locate the Autoexec.nt file, right-click the Autoexec.nt file, and then click Copy.

17. Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click Paste.

I found the autoexec.nt file right clicked it
but how do I find the %systemroot%\system32 ???

Sorry if its a dumb question

VoG II 17:49 30 Jan 05

Same as

C:\windows\system32

shortcircuited 17:50 30 Jan 05

config.nt

shortcircuited 18:12 30 Jan 05

Ok I copied config and autoexec into C: windows\system32

I copied command.com into system32 as well.

(command.com seems to have been already in system32......so that step didnt seem to do anything really.............do I need to copy from the xp disc only? don't really understand this step........what does it mean from expanded command.com, it doesnt expand for me not from what i have stored on my c drive anyway.)

Anyhow with what I have done, am still getting the error message on restart. Must be doing something wrong.

VoG II 18:25 30 Jan 05

Expanded command.com refers to the file that would have been expanded in Step 4. You didn't do this so it just means command.com

I don't know why you are getting this message on bootup. It may be an error in a program that is loading on startup. Start, Run, type in

msconfig

and click OK.

Have a look what is listed on the Startup tab. If you spot anything that you don't recognise, post the program name(s) here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…