Autoexec.bat

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:55 10 Jul 04

Hi

I'm trying to learn Java and have fallen at the first hurdle.

Where will I find autoexec.bat in XP home? I have looked in my windows folder but can't see it.

Have also done a search, including hidden files and system folders, with no result.

If I haven't got it, where can I get it from?

Many thanks.

Tas

VoG II 22:01 10 Jul 04

It should be in the root folder C:\

Lionheart ? 22:02 10 Jul 04

Did a quick search, from what I can see Autoexec.nt replaces Autoexec.bat.

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:14 10 Jul 04

I have just searched my computer for autoexec.nt with no result.

VoG when you say root folder C:\ do you mean what I get as soon as I double click on C drive?

Thanks

Tas

VoG II 22:15 10 Jul 04

Yep.

VoG II 22:19 10 Jul 04

Mine isn't terribly interesting. In fact I'm not sure that this file is actually used or necessary in XP

SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM

SET windir=C:\WINDOWS

SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS

SET PROMPT=$p$g

SET TEMP=C:\windows\TEMP

SET TMP=c:\windows\TEMP

SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T4

SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE\MCAFEE~1;C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE\MCAFEE~4\PGP

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:19 10 Jul 04

Search is case sensitive :(

And has brought up 4 instances of Autoexec.nt in:

C:\windows\System32

C:\windows\I386

C:\windows\repair

C:I386

None of which give me an edit option when I right click.

Any idea which one I need and how to edit it?

Thanks again

Tas

Eric10 22:20 10 Jul 04

Autoexec.bat isn't needed by Windows XP but I do have an empty autoexec.bat in the root of C: on my XP Pro system although it is a hidden file. If you need one for Java then since it's only a text file you can create one by right-clicking in a blank area in the root of C: and choosing New, Text Document, and renaming it to autoexec.bat. If it does already exist then you will be warned about overwriting it.

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:06 10 Jul 04

for the advice.

From what I understand, autoexec runs at startup and tells the PC the path for windowsy type things so windows can startup properly. For this reason I don't want to create a new one for fear of confusing the whatever-it's-called-that-starts-up-before-windows-thing. (I did try creating a new text doc and got no overwrite message but worried that I may be in the wrong folder).

VoG

It's not in the main C: bit?

I am assuming (quite safely) that I am doing something wrong here, it seems to be something which you can't not have.

So, please, does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Tas

VoG II 23:11 10 Jul 04

What does autoexec.bat have to do with Java?

Maybe if you can explain what you are trying to do...

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:41 10 Jul 04

Basically (again, from what I understand) Autoexec is the bit that sets the paths.

I have downloaded the JDK but my PC does not know where.

I write the Java code in wordpad and need to run it from command prompt. So, I create the ubiquitous(sp) "Helloworld" in wordpad, go into DOS to run it and I have to enter the entire path (C:\programs\jdketc).

If I can alter autoexec then I can just type "javac Helloworld" or similar and the PC knows the path and runs the command. However, if I don't alter autoexec, I have to type CD C:\programs\JDKetc or something like that everytime I want to run a java app. as I am learning this will probably amount to at least 10's of extra hours typing when I could be learning more.

Hope this clarifies my problem.

Please let me know if not.

Thanks

Tas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…