AutoDisconnect - Dial Up Networking

aph 17:16 01 Feb 03

My Internet connection uses dial up networking. whenever we exited explorer we always got a box asking 'Are you sure you want to disconnect?'.
The settings have not changed but now we don't get this message and the icon remains in the bottom right corner (systemtray?).
If you don't remember to right click it and say disconnect it will stay connected!
I have checked the settings in Explorer tools/Internet options/connections/settings/advanced
disconnect if idle for..5 mins
disconnect when connection may no longer be needed
are both checked.
Does anyone know why?

Gongoozler 18:07 01 Feb 03

Hi aph. I don't think you have done anything wrong, and it appears that you have checked the correct things. Unfortunately Autodisconnect is one of the less reliable aspects of Microsoft Dial Up Networking. I find it works sometimes and not others, and whether it works or not appears to depend in some way on the sequence of opening and closing IE and OE. I think part of the problem is Microsoft's idea of the meaning of "when connection may no longer be needed". If anyone has an answer, I'll be interested to hear it.

watchful 18:11 01 Feb 03

I too would be interested as I used to get this window popping up and it was much easier to use than right-clicking on the little icon in system tray.
Hope someone provides the answer.

Legolas 18:19 01 Feb 03

Have a look here aph click here about half way down the page is this link. "Click here for Microsoft's article." it might give you some ideas

watchful 18:29 01 Feb 03

Thanks for that link but I don't fancy tampering with the registry and it didn't mention XP.

aph - sorry for butting into your thread but it was something I was wondering about.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…