Autochk / chkdsk NOT running on bootup

Funkey 11:08 25 Aug 05

This has been bugging me for some time:

A7N8X (non delux m/b with latest bios update).
Maxtor 250GB (NTFS primary partition for Windows)
Maxtor 200GB
Maxtor 120GB
Windows XP SP2 full version (not upgrade)

Problem:
I found that if the pc wasnt shut down incorrectly (e.g. if you press the reset button when you have a document open) then autochk / chkdsk DOESNT run on bootup, it just boots into Windows and obviously any docs or apps that were opened lose their settings.

Symptoms:
However, it WILL run correctly on bootup if you do the normal "Check Now" routine (properties on C drive -> Tools -> "Check Now") and also chkdsk will run correctly in Emergency Recovery Console. I realise that some would ask "Why are you bothered? Its annoying having it run on bootup anyways". Well, I get VERY suspicious if i see things like this, especially when I noticed the odd reboot for no reason (nothing listed in Event Viewer about the problem).

Could this simply be the way XP runs on NTFS? (Never installed it on NTFS before, I'm wondering if I'm looking for a problem that isnt a problem).

I have tried removing the partition, recreating it and then reinstalling XP with SP2 and still same problem. I can only summise that its either a hard drive or motherboard problem (if indeed it is a problem at all).

Previous possible related problem:
Also (in case its relevant), I did originally have an issue originally installing XP on this drive. I found XP with SP2 would only install on the 200GB or 250GB HDD's if the mode was manually set to LBA in BIOS (when set to "auto" they were set to CHS instead). My friend had same model drive in his so I double checked the setting. Although previously installed XP with SP1 fine on the 120GB drive, therefore I could only summise that the problem was because of the 130GB barrier with my old mb (even after BIOS update).

Questions:
Anyone think that the Autochk issue is a problem?
Could it be that the Autochk and the installation issues are related?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…