auto system restore points?

gizzyx 14:54 08 Sep 06

is there a way, perhaps possibly by scheduled tasks to force win xp to create a system restore point say every other day? sometimes when i need to use system restore, the last restore point is many days or even weeks ago. i would like to have a more recent restore point, but never remember to manualy create one.

Stuartli 15:29 08 Sep 06

Unless you create one manually, SR points are generally created automatically through a specific change to the system such as installing/uninstalling software etc.

Pine Man 15:34 08 Sep 06

If you have Windows Defender installed it will automatically create a new restore point at least once everytime the computer is switched on and sometimes an awful lot more!

GroupFC 15:42 08 Sep 06

System restore should also create its own "system checkpoints". I have just checked on this machine and they seem to be daily(ish), and that is certainly the case on my PC at home.

Taken from the help files "They are created daily and at the time of significant system events (such as when an application or driver is installed). You can also create and name your own restore points at any time." As to why your machine is not doing them - I'm afraid I don't know!

You could have a look through some of these perhaps click here

BurrWalnut 15:53 08 Sep 06

To change the interval between system restore points, Start, Run, type regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore. In RPGlobalInterval it is set to 86400 (seconds) which represents 24 hours. Change it accordingly.

Note, that this is also dependent on update activity. Experiment with different settings.

gizzyx 16:01 08 Sep 06

the reason seems to be that the machine is not left standing idle. it is a laptop that i only switch on when i need to use it, and switch off straight afterwards. the system needs to be idle (no mouse/keyboard activity etc) to create a restore point automatically. this is why my restore points are so infrequent, i presume.

Stuartli 17:22 08 Sep 06

Also see:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…