Auto shut down and desktop icons

Akaali 17:10 01 Sep 08

For sometime now I have been unable to shut down my PC via the auto shutdown facility (via Start button). 9 times out of 10 I have to launch Windows Task Manager, selection Users, then logoff - this does take me to the shut down window and I can shut down from there but not from the desktop (also unable to logoff from Desktop).

I also have strange green circles with green tick inside over a number of my desktop icons, which have appeared in last couple of days (only thing I recall changing is downloading latest vers of BT Digital Vault). I have other users (family members) who use the PC and their icons appear OK when using their desktop.

Any suggestions/ideas on how to fix gratefully received.

ronalddonald 17:14 01 Sep 08

operating systme are you using Vista or Xp home etc

Akaali 17:20 01 Sep 08

OS is XP Home SP2.

rawprawn 17:31 01 Sep 08

The green circles with ticks are when BT Auto Backup has backed them up.
For your shutdown problem I would first try a system file scan.
Start > Run > type sfc /scannow and hit Enter. You may need your XP CD

Akaali 17:58 01 Sep 08

OK that explains the icons (I did have a suspicion). Re the system scan - am I looking for anything inparticular?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:08 01 Sep 08

Re the system scan - am I looking for anything inparticular?

No, sfc will replace missing or corrupt windows files that may solve your problem.

Akaali 19:26 01 Sep 08

Is there a command missing somewhere? I have selected Run then typed sfc/scannow (no spaces) but I just get error message (Windows cannot find file ...). Tried putting in cmd, then sfc etc (both with spaces and without) but I get the message that I must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the Windows File Checker utility. How do I get round this or is there something else I need to do?

rawprawn 19:44 01 Sep 08

Look carefully, you will see there is a space between sfc and /scannow

Akaali 20:08 01 Sep 08

I have typed in 'sfc(space)/scannow' but all that happens is a blank black box flashed on the screen and disappears - there is some text in it but it flashes and disappears so quickly that I am unable to read what it says.

rawprawn 20:49 01 Sep 08

Try this
Click start > run > type cmd.exe in the open box > OK. When the command window opens type in sfc /scannow > press enter on your keyboard.

rawprawn 20:55 01 Sep 08

Also try running sfc in Safe Mode, to get into Safe mode keep tapping F8 when you boot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017