Auto Play doesn't work

Pine Man 16:56 07 Feb 06

Running Windows XP with SP2

I have a CD and DVD player which both ‘Auto Play’ properly and open a window to show their files when inserted.

I also have a USB memory stick and today added a USB card reader and neither ‘Auto Play’ in that a window does not open when inserted. I have set both up correctly through properties to open Windows Explorer and also run the Microsoft Autofix.exe program. In addition I have also turned off NIS 2006 just in case it was treating the windows as ‘pop ups’. No joy.

Any ideas?

billyliv 17:02 07 Feb 06

Start->Run...

Type in 'regedit'

Open the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Services
Cdrom

On the right side, set the key named 'Autorun' from 1 to 0. Then, restart Windows.
Reverse this process. Cheers, Bill

Pine Man 18:27 07 Feb 06

Thanks for your reply.

Checked the registry and the value for cdrom is shown as 0x00000001 (1).

Two queries first.

1. Is it the 1 in brackets that I change to 0?
2. As this is a setting for cdrom (which works ok) will it affect the behaviour of two USB storage devices which don't?

Peter

Pine Man 19:56 07 Feb 06

I gave it a try and it didn't work. Both the CD and DVD auto play ok but still neither of the USB storage devices will.

Joe R 20:04 07 Feb 06

Pine Man,

this may do the trick for you. click here

Biotech 21:40 07 Feb 06

If there is no data to open then I doubt anything will happen.

billyliv 00:12 08 Feb 06

Hi Pine Man, Changing the value to '0' will disable autorun. I may be way off beam here, but, I dont think USB supports autorun. If I want to play music etc. from a flash stick I have to D/Click on the drive letter allocated. Cheers, Bill

Pine Man 16:41 08 Feb 06

Still not working although they used to once.

Funny old things computers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…