Auto play of cdrom not working

night 11:43 05 Jan 07

Hi, I was having trouble getting my cdrom drive to work when inserting disks; immediately the computer would shut down and restart with an error message saying that it had recovered from a serious error. The crash analysis told me that the problem was to do with video drivers. I went to Mic. Update and found that video drivers were to be updated so I went ahead and installed them. I was then able to insert a cd without the computer crashing but it wouldn't run. I opened My Computer > Properties > Auto Run tab and clicked on Default settings.

Now I can at least use the cdrom drive without crashing the computer, but it won't Auto run yet.

Any suggestions?

I have Windows XP SP2, and did have Norton Internet Security 2007 but I removed it to see if that would perhaps be the cause. It's still not installed.

Regards, Night

rosierd 11:48 05 Jan 07

are you sure the cd or whatever media your inserting has an autorun.inf file ? or something on the same lines, windows detects this file which has instructions on what to run when autoplay is on?

Hertz Van Rentyl 11:52 05 Jan 07

There is a microsoft repair wizard that may help:
click here
Check for DMA settings in Device manager as Xp sometimes reverts to PIO mode as a "safety" precaution. If you need to reset your DMA this can be useful:
click here

night 11:52 05 Jan 07

it's not just the one cd, rosie, it's any cd I try to play

rosierd 11:53 05 Jan 07

Ok, sorry i thought it was cd specific, well try the fix which has already been posted and get back with information if you can, hope it works :)

night 12:05 05 Jan 07

ok folks! first of all thanks to Hertz, yes the AutoPlay fix tool has solved the problem, and thanks to Rosie too for your help and advice.

Regards, night

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced