Auto Log-On to the Internet

Woodmouse 18 17:20 19 Nov 06

What would cause my computer to automatically log on to the internet. I turn on the PC and without any intervention from me, I realise that I have logged on. I normally do not like to connected all the time, so I find this a little anyoying. Can anyone advise on where I should be looking to solve this. Could a program that I have recently installed be doing this? How can I trace what my PC is up to !

anskyber 17:31 19 Nov 06

Have you recently installed Skype?

Woodmouse 18 17:47 19 Nov 06

Yes I have - where should I look to resolve my problem of the Auto Log-In please ?

Simsy 18:09 19 Nov 06

have an option in them to automatically check for updates. In many cases the default for this is "Yes", i.e. there is a tick in the relevant box to do so. You could check your programmes to find out if it's one of these.

anskyber has hit on a likely reason?

Do you have a firewall? If so, you could set it so that no programmes are given permission to access the internet without your permission... then on booting up you should be asked by the firewall whether to allow program xxxx to access the internet, and so the "culprit" should be discovered.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 18:13 19 Nov 06

crossed post!

It probably is Skype then...

To stop Skype starting when you start Windows, start Skype and go to Tools>Options... then the "Advanced" section... there is a tickbox near the top, "Start Skype when I start Windows" which you can untick.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

anskyber 18:39 19 Nov 06

For Skype. If it is logged on and working open the Skype window, thats the one with your name and your contacts on.

Choose file, then log out. It will take you back to the Sign in window. From there uncheck "Sign me in when Skype starts" and "Start Skype when the computer starts"

TYou will have to start if for yourself after that but it should stop the log in to the internet.

If it does not then I suggest you do scans using your anti virus software.

anskyber 18:40 19 Nov 06

Sorry I was typing away before I read your post!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…