auto driver updaters?

mannock 18:16 07 Jan 07

whilst searching for drivers for my xp system i noticed several paid for programs which once installed and run, automatically list driver updates and provide the relevant downloads. some even included software program updates eg game patches and the prices varied from $5 for 1 day up to $30 for a lifetime subscription. has anyone had experience of these utilities and which is best?

Stuartli 18:20 07 Jan 07

This question has been asked before and the general consensus seems to be that using the manufacturer's website is still the best method for obtaining the latest drivers.

Or use websites such as MajorGeeks (home page), Filehippo.com or dozleng.com/updates/index.php?act=calendar

which are bang up to date.

SANTOS7 18:23 07 Jan 07

Probably none of them!!
Depending on what you want to update which is something you might do once in a while it is just as easy to go to the menufacturers website and download them for NOTHING.
I have only ever updated Two drivers Audio and Graphics might do them a couple of times a year if needed.

mannock 19:40 07 Jan 07

well what i found interesting about these programs is that after a free scan of my system they listed some drivers which were out of date, but i wouldn't have known about it otherwise. i know 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' is true, but it's nice to know that you have all the latest software on your machine, if only for peace of mind. and perhaps by keeping up to date you can 'prevent rather than cure'
and they seemed genuine because they all found the same results. and most of the updates were quite obscure, drivers for individual components rather than simply 'graphics card drivers'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now