"Auto Disconnect" freezes (or is it Explorer?)

simoncini 11:52 26 Dec 04

Am having problem with "Auto Disconnect" (or may be a wider issue, of course): Click "Disconnect" and "Auto Disconnect" appears in Task Bar and everything freezes - Quick Launch (connection icons still there), Start menu. Bringing up Task Manager does not display anything running. I have already created a "Quick Shutdown" icon on the desktop and this works, as with other icons, otherwise I have to restart from the Task Manager. Tried Restore, checked for viruses, disc cleanup, etc., but problem still there.
Any help (in lay person's language!) would be appreciated. Thanks.

Technotiger 12:10 26 Dec 04

Hi, to attract more response you need to give a bit more detail - Win98/ME/XP??, type of connection DialUp/Broadband/Modem/Ethernet? would be a start, and any other system info you can think of. Cheers. Happy New Year.

simoncini 18:06 26 Dec 04

Sorry: XP SP2, IE6. To further elaborate, when I restart via Task Manager, the "end programme" box comes up for "explorer.exe".
I'm on broadband. And the problem arose after manually deleting a not full-installed McFee Quickfix freeby (it would not fully install, hence unable to do the "add/remove" proper way). I realise that I may have deleted something else, in my ignorance, from the "McFee" programmes folder.

Technotiger 18:14 26 Dec 04

HI again, have you tried a System Restore to an earlier date when all was ok? I would think that this should fix it. Cheers.

simoncini 18:23 26 Dec 04

Thanks again. No, restore does not work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5