Auto-Disconnect box doesn't work in IE/OE

golda.neagle 16:36 15 Jul 05

When I used to shut down OE or IE a box appeared giving me the option of staying connected or disconnecting. This has now disappeared leaving me to manually disconnect.

An old magazine article stated that I should open IE then go to Tools/Internet Options/Connections/Settings/Advanced and check the box marked “Disconnect when connection may no longer be needed”. I followed these instructions but found that this box was already checked. Has anybody any idea why the Auto-Disconnect box isn't appearing?

Dorsai 18:51 15 Jul 05

I would start by closing all open programs. Then open the settings window you mention, and untick the box you talk of.

Ok/Apply/Save changes out back to the desktop.

Reboot the PC.

Re-open the setting window, and re-tick the box.

Ok/Apply/Save changes out back to the desktop.

Reboot the PC.

Then see if it now works as expected.

This may work. Or it may not. But it's what I would do first in your shoes.

golda.neagle 19:29 15 Jul 05

Thanks Dorsai, I have already tried this and, although it does actually work for a short period, it suddenly stops working again for no obvious reason. I wondered whether it might be due to a virus or other malware, but I have run AVG antivirus, Ad-aware, Spybot Search and Destroy and XoftSpy but all have proved negative.

golda.neagle 16:13 17 Jul 05

Well, it's happened again. Did as I've done before, and as suggested by Dorsai. Got the Auto-disconnect box working again for 3 online sessions. At the end of the 4th session I lost it again. What's happening? Surely somebody out there must be able to resolve this problem, or am I unique? Help please - this is getting REALLY annoying.

Dipso 22:34 17 Jul 05

I resolved this in Windows ME by going to Add/Remove programs and repairing IE, there should be an option to do this but I don't think it's possible in XP.

golda.neagle 16:36 18 Jul 05

Thanks Dipso, I think you're right. I've got XP with SP2 and I can't see any way of repairing IE6 (unless anybody knows different of course!). Is it possible to reinstall IE6 or download it/install it from a computer magazine disc over my present copy? I note that the PC Advisor disc for September doesn't contain a copy of IE6. Any ideas anybody?

gel 16:56 18 Jul 05

.I have XP windows Home edition
When I alter the connection settings
I go
start
>control panel
>internet options
>connections
>settings
>advanced
and set up from there
gel

VoG II 16:59 18 Jul 05

Repair click here

golda.neagle 18:30 18 Jul 05

gel. Thanks, I had already tried this but, on my computer, it’s no more effective than going through IE.

VoG. Thanks for the advice but the procedures on XP require the Windows XP CD ROM which I don’t have. XP came pre-installed on my PC with no back-up disc. I tried anyway but a message came up requesting XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD. I tried an XP SP2 disc which came with PC Advisor but it wouldn’t work as it didn’t have a file called “IEXPLORE.EXE”

The thought did occur to me that, as the procedure described by gel didn't work, the problem is outwith IE. Not being a technician, I've really no idea where to go from here.

Stuartli 18:41 18 Jul 05

IEXPLORE.EXE is merely the means of starting up Internet Explorer.

You can repair IE6 by following this link for information:

click here

A copy of XP is probably/should be on your hard disk but using scannow and clicking on Skip when asked for the disk should work.

gel 20:18 18 Jul 05

Have a look at click here
gel
ps can some tell me how to put in my responce 'click here' as I would have done for the above web site if I had known what to do.
Thanks
gel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…