Audio problems post reinstallation of op system

SallyC 20:51 15 May 10

Friday Dell unistalled & reinstalled the operating system on my Dell Inspiron laptop. Since then I've been reinstalling my programs. I installed one this afternoon that needed audio & it kept coming up with no audio card. I checked Device Manager & although it's showing no problems with the installed audio/video etc drivers, the 'Sounds & Audio Devices' in control panel are greyed out & saying nothing installed. Also there is three icons for it!
I've been through windows xp help step by step but hasn't helped.
I really don't know what to do next apart from wait till Monday when Dell start working again. Any suggestions?

SallyC 21:01 15 May 10

I checked the device drivers loaded and there was one - PCI I think, that had a yellow question mark next to it, but I don't know what it is nor could I find a driver on my Dell disc.

onthelimit 21:31 15 May 10

As mentioned in other threads, I had problems with drivers until I installed the service packs (3 for XP).

rdave13 22:00 15 May 10

Check in services that windows audio is started and on auto.

lotvic 23:52 15 May 10

Download the Drivers from Dell click here

SallyC 11:00 16 May 10

I've resolved the audio problem by reinstalling the Sigma Audio driver from the Dell driver disc. But thinking about it, audio was definately working after reinstalling the operating system, so have been trying to identify what might have caused the driver to be deleted.
Any ideas?
The only hiccup I had yesterday whilst reloading programs (apart from audio) was Windows tried to update Service pack 2 to 3 & stalled giving Error code 0x80070005 - but researching appears to indicate that that's an antivirus blocking issue. I have a Microsoft helpdesk call out but again any suggestions/thoughts would welcome

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:18 16 May 10

Installing SP3

You need to download and SAVE sp3, disconect from the net , switch of Antivirus and antimalware programs (or better still reboot and install in safe mode) before installing.

SallyC 13:57 16 May 10

Thanks Fruit Bat, before I do this I'd like to ask a couple of questions.
I have been researching SP3 on the MS Support page & there are many reports of problems post installation. This makes me nervous as I don't feel my laptop is stable yet (lots of changes over the past 2 days, hasn't settled down yet)
Do I need Service Pack 3? (I know 2 is going to be unsupported in July)
What will it give me that I don't have already? I've tried finding out on the MS site but no clear information

SallyC 17:48 15 Oct 10

Installed service pack 3 - then discovered that Dell had forgotten to install media player when they replaced the o/p system! They installed VLC player (?!) instead - I agreed to it otherwise I would have to have gone through the stripping process again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…