audio problems after windows install

sugarbabe 11:01 26 Apr 07

Hi have just installed a new hard drive in acer aspire 1310 laptop and re installed windows.

Now have no sound if i look at sound devices in control panel says no audio installed

when i go in to device mananger drivers for audio and video codec r fine when i look at realtec ac'97 which i have installed says device cannot start code 10.

please help!!!

I am Spartacus 11:04 26 Apr 07

It may need the chipset drivers installing.

click here

ArrGee 11:05 26 Apr 07

Hope this link helps:

click here

ArrGee 11:06 26 Apr 07

It could also be related to a USB device, so have a look at this link too:

click here

MAJ 11:17 26 Apr 07

Try the audio drivers here click here

sugarbabe 11:36 26 Apr 07

tried downloading the drivers suggested but every time it tries to install realtec says hardware won't work properly same eroor message won't start code 10

sugarbabe 12:34 26 Apr 07

tried downloading new drivers for chipset but still no sound.

Found this info on windows site about error message but not quite sure what it means???

Code 10
If the device has a FailReasonString value in its hardware key, that string appears as the error message. The driver or enumerator puts this registry string value there. If there is no FailReasonString in the hardware key, you receive the following error message:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Recommended resolution

Device failed to start. Click Update Driver to update the drivers for this device. On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard.

birdface 16:21 26 Apr 07

Hi,Try this one, click here Vinal Ac 97 Codec Combo Driver.Every time my son reformats his computer we download it and it works fine, But the next Up-date you get from Microsoft it will try and download the old Ac97 audio ,Just stop the download or you may loose your sound again.

sugarbabe 20:55 26 Apr 07

buteman u r a genius, i now have sound. thank u

birdface 00:30 27 Apr 07

Glad to have been able to help,Just remember Microsoft will try and reinstall the old Ac97,so just ignore it,And if you are happy that it is working all right now,Remember to tick the square and press resolved,Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…