Audio from more the one connector

Although I have two audio connections on the front of my case, one for connecting speakers and the other for a microphone, I have until now had now requirements for these.

My son has just purchased a head set meaning that I have to disconnect the speakers in order for him to use the headphones, which is inconvenient.

What I would like to know is whether it is possible to have audio output from both the audio connector on the motherboard (I?m using the onboard sound) and the connector on the front of the case. If this is possible, I would appreciate some help on how to connect the cables from the case to the motherboard, an Asus A7V33.

Many thanks.

Stuartli 13:02 03 Aug 03

There are some headphones (usually hi-fi) which are supplied with a double output socket to allow two people to have a set of headphones each whilst listening.

Whether these adaptors have 6.5mm plugs (intended generally for an amplifier headphones output socket) or 3.5mm, which is the normal mobo/portable/CD players etc type, I'm not sure.

But I'm sure that a good audio outlet would be able to supply a 3.5mm type - you could then plug both the headphones and the speaker leads into the adaptor which, in turn, would be inserted into the case's sound supply outlet.

If not then the same shop should be able to wire up something on these lines for a reasonable charge.

DieSse 14:49 03 Aug 03

If you look in your motherboard manual , it will tell you. Normally it is NOT possible to have both the case-front and rear motherboard sockets active at the same time.

Sie1 14:49 03 Aug 03

Trust do a little switch box that plugs into your sound card which will switch between 2 sets of speakers or headphone/speaker combination.

There is also a switch which will turn on or off the microphone.

I got it from Staples earlier this year. It cost around £7 and is well worth the money.

Stuartli 17:55 03 Aug 03

Sounds (sorry for the pun) to be a very similar device to my suggestion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…